Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

1) Having full grasp of material presented
2) Anticipate student questions
3) Treat each student if they were the most important person in the room.

1. Clear expectations
2. Connect the course with real life connections
3. Set up time prior to class to handle and concerns or questions

1. Ask questions and listen.
2. Start a suggestion box.
3. Check with students regularly.

1. Inspire my program directors through discussions on retention and student success.
2. Visit classrooms and talk to students about the school's commitment to their success, remind them about support services available.
3. Show instructors we have a commitment school by listening to their ideas and concerns for improvement.

Continue to provide positive reinforcement to my students. I think that sharing personal experience in my field and being enthusiastic my career. This also reminds my students that their hardwork and dedication is GOING TO PAYOFF.

My saying "you are going through hard times, I have been there. I am going to remind you daily that you must keep your eye on your goal."
The other thing that I think is helpful, is that I tell them I am their biggest cheerleader. I will see them in the hallways after they have completed my course and the students will come up to me and comment on being their biggest cheerleader.

ALSO, I constantly remind my students that I am here for them, if they need me. Just because I am not teaching them directly does not mean I cant be available to them. WE ARE A TEAM. INSTRUCTORS ARE A TEAM.

Also, my college provides staff inservices on retention to reinforce the retention concept. This is a great teambuilding strategy. Frequently this allows for discussions and new ideas for student retention.

I am going to reveiw the test scores, seek advice from other instructors and do more research so i can be as effective as possible.

Connect with students every day. Class activities that promote student interest.

Provide more mentoring and tutoring help to at risk students.

School sponsoring student appreciation events.

I will do an orientation on the 1st day to learn a little about my students in the class. As the class proceeds, I will identify students who are struggling with tests and tutor them. I will also be a mentor to all students.

1. Continue to tutor students that are are not native English speakers to encourage their engagement in the course.
2. Encourage students to be involved with the school's outreach programs.
3. Advise students about the resources available at the school on both local and national levels.

positive reinforcement
increased tutoring
improved student relations

1--Speak to each student every day. Acknowledge their good work, attention to detail, or just say "hello."

2--Pay attention to grades and look for a drop in quality of work. Discuss this change with the student.

3--Pay attention to attendance. Talk to any student who is absent for 2 days in a row.

Keep the class on a positive tone, by being enthusiastic.
Have students explain some of the things they learned for today, give positive reinforcement. By positive reinforcement is if the student is not quite correct, ask the student questions that they can answer to lead them back on the right track. Never tell them they are wrong in a classroom setting.
Make myself available for the student when they need help, when I am not in class.

In the next 30 days I plan to more conversations with the students that I don't normally get a chance to speak with. I want to encourage and be supportive of them as much as I do with other students. I want to find additional resources that will benefit students outside of school to reduce stressors.

-Try to find a common connection with each student, like talking about a certain sport, etc.
-Offer more time available for tutoring
-Acknowledge a student's successes

Be sure to go over course objectives at the very beginning of class, continue to offer tutoring, and meet with student one on one to see how I can better meet their needs.

1. Personally go over each students progress
reports.
2. Make myself available for tutoring as their
schedule allows.
3. Review my lesson plans for better delivery.

Make an appointment with each student at the beginning of each quarter to provide them with the warmth and caring about their academic and well being.

Continue to give daily academic update about their performance.

Provide students with a Concern Card(similar to a suggestion box)

Be a better role model, step up my game for more one on one time with students rather its more tutoring or just getting to know them a little better.

I will create a more engaging 1st day orientation to engage students with each other. This will create a more open environment with each other and me.

share real world experiences so they know they aren't along with new information.

Let the students know you are available to help where needed.

Share with the student that tutoring is available from other students to help them.

Sign In to comment