Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Building Relationships with Employers | Origin: CS115

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Developing and Maintaining Effective Employer Partnerships --> Building Relationships with Employers

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I really enjoyed reading about the Employer Engagement Solutions: Inspire and Motivate, Innovate and tailor, understand an employer needs and build knowledge, and collaborate.

I also like the idea of employer engagement solutions.  These are good reminders when working with potential employers. 

Great additional info about how to engage and partner with employers currently and in the future. 

Great additional info about employment engagement and partnerships

I really like the idea of handing out swag to employment partners. I plan on doing this!

My takeaway from this module is the importance of recognizing our industry partners/employers. I love the idea of hosting an annual THANK YOU luncheon, and recognizing their efforts with awards - even sending thank you notes or swag items can be a great gesture. I also think it's important to highlight these success stories with industry partners/students in the institution's newsletter, and sharing that with the industry partner.

My takeaways are enageing the employer by hosting luncheon and or breakfast and have them acknowledged for time and input they provide. Remember that every process should be about what is in for the employer? Ask for their feedback, gain their trust, understand their needs and collaborate.

I think the most important thing to do when building relationships with businesses and people is to learn about them. Find out what makes them successful and tailor your message to them. 

I learned that employer relationships are extremely important but not always easy to cultivate.  You must be clear about what it is you need.  You must ask for feedback and be willing to apply it.  You need to figure out what they employer needs and then work together collaboratively to create and maintain a relationship that benefits both parties.  

How important it is to continually mover employers down the partnership continuum, you will always have a pipeline of potential partners.

Under "Inspire & Motivate" I really like the idea of sharing student success stories and sharing those positive outcomes with employers. I think it keeps the focus on student success which is really my mission, and a great way to demonstrate how employers can contribute to that.

The information breakdown for 1. Inspire and motivate, 2. Innovate and tailor, 3. Understand an employer needs and build knowledge and 4. Collaborate are pertinent to building relationships with employers. 

I have come to realize over the past few modules that employer relationships are not unilateral. They are on a continuum that we as career services representatives must work to advance. While it is a free service to employers, the expense comes through the time it takes to uncover common hindrances and work towards solutions that will deepen relationships with our employers. One specific piece of advice that I found helpful was to meet more than one person in an organization. In the event that the HR manager leaves (which in our field happens often) we still want to have a connection to the employer. 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities