Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Employment Verification Program Components | Origin: CS202

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Best Practices in Graduate Employment Verification & Documentation --> Employment Verification Program Components

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The best practice for employment verification programs is to have well defined defintions of what "placement" means. There should be no grey areas on whether a student leaving a program is being placed in a program that is considered acceptable and aligned with the program of study. Percentage numbers can mean very different things if the standards aren't agreed upon beforehand. 

Accuracy is key!

Knowing what you define as a Career Services Department, as placement and how you verify and remain consistent, is key o the accuracy.

I enjoyed seeing how definitions of placements can heavily impact your institutions verification results and processes.

Placement is important. There needs to be a clear understanding of placement and it needs to be accurately recorded so that your measurements of your career services department can have data that is useful.

The key in this module is to make sure the clear definition of placement. This will help you to input and look for the correct information 

There are many factors to consider when veriifying placement. Placement needs to be verified accuratly and legally.  There are several ways to obtain verification.  Placement verification also needs to be clearly defined as an in-feild placment.

Verification and documentation processes must be communicated to and implemented by all associates involved in the placement process. Third party verifiers can definitely fortify placement outcomes and graduate surveys are the least reliable method in documenting placements. 

I agree with other posts...it is extremely important to understand and agree within the department on your organization's definition of a placement.  

I learned that schools use third party verifiers to complete employment verifications for graduates versus completing verifications themselves and then using third party verifiers when going through the re-accreditation process.

Being clear about the definition of what a placement is.

When it comes to establishing a verification program,  it is imperative for postsecondary institutions to collect institutional, student, program, and employer data. Qualitative and quantitative data can also be collected through various collection methods such as questionnaires, interviews, and third-party verifiers. 

Having a well-structeured employment verification program with additional strategic partners could improve the college's ability to aviod errors and pick up mistakes easily. 

I have learned there are several factors that must be considered before a student can be considered "placed" or "employed in field" such as: employment, employment type, hours or frequency of work, compensation, employment relevance to program of study, continuing employment, graduate sentiment, timing of measurement, length of employment. Thus, I will make sure to follow up with my gradutes to confirm they are still employed in their company after the time alloted by my institution and regulatory bodies.

There should be a clear and  defined  set of requirements and parameters used to capture data to be collected leaving  no room for personal interpretation.  Data collection instruments and using third party entities  can help to improve upon  employment verification consistency,  audit efficiency, and reduce reporting errors. 

What I learned from this section is that defining all the key terms of employment verification reporting is the most important concept; if you have clear definitions, you can let the data on each student and employing organization speak for itself on whether or not to "count" the situation as a placement or not.

Accuracy and consistency is everything. This requires adequate training and making sure everyone is on the same page. Definitions need to be clear and objective so there is no confusion!

Strive to go beyond federal, state, and accreditor rules and regulations.
Clear definitions that go beyond minimum requirements can be a legal lifesaver, if done correctly.
An option would be to seek outside help to strenghten this process.

When collecting data it is important to have "placement" defined for that institution. There are multiple ways of collecting accurate data. One of the least credible ways of collecting data if handing out a survey. 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities