Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Designing a Career Culture | Origin: CS201

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Institutional Best Practices to Maximize Graduate Employment Outcomes --> Designing a Career Culture

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I learned a lot of valuable information 

It's important to address the indiviual needs and barriers of each student to effectively assist them in their employment journey. 

Every student is different and requires different needs and interventions to be successful in a career educational program.  Without truly knowing our students' barriers, we will be ineffective at ensuring their success within their technical program.

Rather than simply relying upon a one size fits all model, the school to career transition should be fitted to the students' needs, the employers' needs, and to the most effective means of communication and assessment.  Our students who work in industry are required to keep a journal which becomes part of their theory grade.  feedback on a scaled form from their employer goes toward their shop grade. Perhaps using technology such as school wide E mail or shop specfific social media, instant feddback may be provided between the students, employers, and instructors.

Differentiation is the key to success.All aspects must be taken into account from the students needs to the employers needs. A good fit must be established between the student and a potential employer. Students must understand the employers expectations and the employer must be aware of the student's skill set or limitations.

Understanding the unique combination of skills and abilities of students will help an institution create an effective support system for students as they prepare for employment. Providing resources is an essential function of an institution preparing students to meet the demands of employers.

Career services should be  more nvolved in  decisions of programs, but are limited to the ratio of such personnel in the schools, They should also report to the director.

Instituting a career culture in the classroom is not the only place where students can find information about careers.  Students can be exposed to career expectations in their coursework, on field trips, through networking events as well as in the career services office and when meeting with advisors.  Each student should have an individual plan to increase their level of success.  Employability skills are something that are part of the curriculum, but the addition of embedded professional skills could benefit students from the beginning of their career education to gaining employment.  

I have learned that admissions plays a vital role in a student's success in employment wherein if they do not have students complete a self-awareness questionere, they may be enrolling in a program that does not align with their interests and abilites and are thus doomed to be unsuccesful in this field becuase they are not interested in it or are not cut out for it. I intend to bring this idea up with my director to see if we can meet with the admissions director and admissions team to ensure they are appropiately directing students in the correct path and not just enrolling students who are not interested and will therefore not be successful in the workforce. 

It's important to address the individual needs and barriers. As well as working with admissions to ensure proper enrollment questions are asked to build a better foundation.  

It is best to take an individual approach if possible. By working with admissions, as a CSA, I could learn more initial data about the employability skills a student has from the start. Creating a survey or a way to identify any barriers is helpful as well to help the student reach their goals.

I appreciated reading about the CIP model and the modalities employed to maximize strategies to student need. In addition, the summative 3-tiered breakdown of aligning level of advisor/resources assistance to student needs was clear & consise, i.e. level of employability skills and barriers to employment. I like this overall approach when pondering "who needs how much of what"! This model makes it is easier to decide.

The information is useful in our overall operations of Career Services.

Designing a career culture is essential for maximizing graduate employment outcomes. To achieve this, I will integrate career development throughout the academic journey, provide holistic advising, offer experiential learning opportunities, engage alumni and employers, provide professional development initiatives, and leverage career resources and technology. This approach will empower our students to succeed in the job market and thrive in their careers.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities