Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding the Big Picture of Graduate Employment | Origin: CS201

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Institutional Best Practices to Maximize Graduate Employment Outcomes --> Understanding the Big Picture of Graduate Employment

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I've reaffirmed my belief that employment rates are not the sole responsibility of career services. We play a part in those statistics, but we are not the only ones responsible for those statistics. I plan on keeping this in mind as we continue to make efforts to assess our programming and evaluate our departmental success. 

Job placement is not taken seriously by the staff and instructors who work at this institution.  They also do not realize the deep barrier that are keeping our students from completing the programs. Increased poverty has made this job even more difficult as basic things like food and transportation are major barriers. I have established a food pantry and uniform closet to assist students who need even these most basic things.

Career Services hold many roles. It takes a village to sevice career college students. 

It important for all departments to realize the role they play in assisting students to gain employment and that it is not just on Career Placement. Career Placement wear many hats and it can become overwhelming at times and it's important for the organization to realize how under staff this department is.

Career Services is an integral part of the organization. It is crucial for staff members to develope both internal and external relationships to ensure graduate success.

Career Services is a very important department within the institution. Our biggest job is to create long lasting relationships with our students, graduates and employers. 

I learned its not just Cateer Services responsible for placement outcome, all departments are responsible. In our univetsity, I see this in action. 

Although Career Services does provide resources for students and graduates to gain employment, the strategies and success of other departments within the institution are equally as important. 

This module has reaffirmed there are many stakeholders that have an impact on employment rates. 

Reading this passage empasized the fact that there are many individuals and stake holders responsible for a student's employment after graduation. In addition to this, it is crucial to understand your student population to get an idea of the possible barriers that may affect employment after graduation. 

It truly takes a village to get students ready for gainful employment.  Many factors, both obvious and not obvious, are in play when considering whether a student will find success.  Many of our students work outside of school, provide childcare within their families, and have household responsibilities that affect their ability to learn and complete homework.  Although we cannot change many of these factors, we can encourage students to make school a priority and not to work more than what is required to pay bills in the household.  Informing students that their odds of graduating and gainful employment after graduation go up the more they prioritize their learning.

One very important stakeholder left out of the others represented by the Venn Diagram is that of the parent/guardian. They are so often overlooked as a huge part of educating students.

There are many structural barriers related to CTE programs  that affect outcomes.

Some employers are demanding that entry-level students have higher skills than before.  This causes some jobs to go unfilled.  

There are many different people and departments involved in getting students ready for their future.  Everyone working as a team can greatly help a student on their path to success in a meaningful career

Reply to Frank Barcellos's post:I wonder if the reason for this is because this course seems to focus on post secondary education, rather than secondary level technical education.

Helping students to reach their career goals is the responsibility of the entire institution.

One factor that impedes gainful employment with our students is their age.  Highly regulated industries are not able to hire students under the age of 18.  Students become discouraged by this fact.

This module emphisizes that it is the institutions responsibility to service the students to help them in reaching their goals.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities