Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I intend to reach out to different companies and ask if internshios are possible. Also having an Advisory Group made up of different Companies could be useful in understanding what skills are needed.

Everyone must understand their roles and responsibilities to be a ble to work together for the success of the students.

This modules demonstrates how many different individuals and departments work together within the institution to assist in students being able to achieve academic, technical, and career goals.  The approach is multifaceted and each facet plays an important role in success.  This module also clearly identifies the differences in what industry is looking for opposed to what academic colleges are attempting to provide in work readiness.  Career colleges offers more current skills for industry, but some gaps can be seen if the career colleges are not vigilent in their ability to follow trends in industry.

I thought it was interesting to see the data on career services staff. Although these centers can play a crucial role in student employment outcomes, many are understaffed. 

I have learned that is not JUST the responsiblity of the Career Services Department to help students and graduates start working in the field but it is the institution as a whole responsibility which really makes sense; it starst with the admissions rep becuase this is where the student first comes to learn about the school and forges a close relationship and trusts thier advice and then goes on to thier instructor who not only teaches and provides knowledge but also is their cheerleader and provides them encouragment and self esteem and then goes on to the admininstration (Dean, President, Directors, etc) wherein they must show thier face so students know they care and are doing thier job to help them be succesfful and they are not just a number and then to the Career Services Department both while they are in school and once they graduate (which will become thier closest connection and advocate, especailly once they graduate).

It takes a village to provide great Career Service results. Every department plays an important role in student success, knowledge, and skill development. 

Knowledge of community resources to help overcome barriers, such as lack of transportation, prior incarceration and lack of financial resources for single mothers are all important to be able to assist at risk groups to gain employment.

My takeaway from this section is that the entire institution is responsbile for the employment rates and success of graduates. Each of us has a hand in molding and coaching a student using specific departmental techniques. Also, it was a nice reminder of the population that we serve and the barriers that may be experiencing going through their program. By understanding the circumstances of students the better we can help them be successful and provide resources to support their goals. 

This module is full of reaffirming information that supports a Career Services department's mission, specifically, that it is incumbant on every staff & faculty member to understand their role with job placement outcomes. I also appreciated the breakdown of the multitude of barriers at play when assisting a student with job support services.

Career Services is one of many departments that relate to students success. 

I always sort of intuitively knew about the seven characteristics of a nontraditional student, but it was helpful to see them spelled out.  In the future, I will consider whether a struggling student possesses any of these traits and how that might influence the support we offer.

I have been working for career services for four years now, and this is the first time that I have the opportunity of taking a course that shows a radiography of what we do and the importance of our department in higher education. Some people think that we are just there to write resumes and show students how to dress properly for an interview. This section portraits very well what we do and the importance of our work.

All stakeholders should work together in order to make Career Services meaningful and successful. With collective involvement, we will be able to achieve the mission.

I learned that Career Services encompasses more than just helping a graduate obtain his/her first job. I learned that barriers and not just the graduate/job match can play a key roll in whether a graduate gets employed in a timely manner in an appropriate position.  I plan to listen well to be in tune with a student's barriers and in tune with the employers needs. 

Information provided in this section was helpful in understanding the statistics around the many barriers to employment faced by our students.

In this module I learned to ensure that our graduates have the best possible outcomes, however, it takes more then Career Services to help the graduates reach their goals. 

I have already come up with comprehensive career success tactics such as personalized counseling, connecting my graduates with thought leaders to assist with job search opportunities, and ensuring they are aware of networking events in our area. These tactics will empower our students to explore different career paths in tech and gain valuable skills.

Second, as a school, we have and will continue to forge strong partnerships with employers, aligning our programs with industry needs and creating internships and networking events, which we have done.

These practical experiences will give our students a competitive edge in the job market.

Lastly, we'll engage our alumni community, providing mentorship and networking support to help current students succeed. By focusing on these strategies, we aim to maximize our graduates' employment prospects and support their professional growth.

This whole module, reinstated everything that I have already learned and look forward to continuing my growth as a career coach. 

During this lesson I learned a better understand of the classification of my current student population and how to effectively state the benefits during initial meeting and encounters. 

Career Services is an integral part of the organization. However, this module has reaffirmed there are many stakeholders that have an impact on employment rates. I'm pleased our campus works well together and it shows in our placement rates, increasing salaries, and expanding employer relationships. 

It's a team effort to get the students gainfully employed once they have completed their program.  That was emphasized, but the average ratio of students to career development personnel, that totally shocked me!  That's a pretty huge amount.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities