Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Disabilities & Interaction Considerations | Origin: CS110

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Providing Career Services for Students with Disabilities --> Disabilities & Interaction Considerations

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I intend to be more conscious about the techniques provided when working with or in the presence of a person with a speech impairment or physical disability. Also, I found it interesting how a brain injury is classified. It is interesting to me that Alzheimers and Parkinson's are not considered traumatic or acquired brain injury. 

I will pay more attention to my communication methods when talking to those who are deaf or have hearing impariments (such as annuciating, but not yelling, and using good eye contact).  I will also like to look into the JAWS reader program for students.

I am going to use some of the techniques the text suggests when working with students who have hearing impairments...tapping on the shoulder lightly is a good technique.

I learned what the term ABD means.  It is a brain injury that is consided external, it occured after birth.  

i was impressed with the list of tecniques readily available to implement when dealing with the physically impaired, hearing and visually impaired etc. 

I learned some techniques for working with hearing impaired like tapping their shoulder!

These are all very practical, reasonable strategies for working with people that have physical, hearing and visual impairments.  I was very surprised to learn that Parkinson's is not a traumatic or acquired brain injury.

This section included many helpful tips for communication.  It helped me to think about things differently such as not moving a door out of someone's hand as they could be using it for stability.  I also appreciated references to words to use and words to avoid to maintain sensitivity. 

Ididn't realize that LD is actually quite common and LD is  found throughout the work force: entry level positions to CEOs. 

I learned what the difference in disabilities that are covered under federal law.

I appreciated every section of this learning chapter and I can see myself going back to use this as a referral.  

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities