Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Compliance Overview | Origin: CS110

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Providing Career Services for Students with Disabilities --> Compliance Overview

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Student accommodations are provided to create equal access rather than help a student succeed. I want all students to succeed so this concept will change my thought process. Also, another example given that surprised me what providing a tutor for someone with a disability should not impact their ability to learn concepts. I have practiced providing support for students with disabilities, but need to rethink about providing equal access. 

It became very apparent that accommodations are provided to create equal access not used to assist students succeed. When completing 504 plans for students, this will be helpful in assisting the team in creating accommodation ideas that help make an "equal" playing field for the student.  

Section 504, and then the ADA protects people with disabilities from discrimination by ensuring that they are fairly treated and that needed accomodations, where reasonable, are offered to youth to recieve equal access to education and other public services.

Reasonable accommodations mean the student reeives services based on their specific disablilites.  In the case of Michael, who is dearf, receiving math turoring accommodations was not warranted... according to the text.

As a School Counselor and 504 Coordinator for my school, I am aware that the tearm reasonable accomodations was coined to provide protection from discrimination and  equal access to students with disabilities.  However, most parents and even staff think the reason accomodations are put in place is to enhance student success.  I am guilty of overreaching at times to make things easier for students wirth disabilities. So, I have to conciosuly remind myself that the student is not defined by their disabilities.  Its important to know the protections under the law so as a Career Service Educator, i can advise and advocate in the best interest of my studenst with disabilities.

I learned that sometimes people confuse 504 with IEP. Accomodations are different from modifications.

As many people have stated above the main idea is to give equal access, which does not mean students will be successful. As a teacher of students with special needs, I have always worked to teach students to advocate for what they need to be successful. It seems they can make a request and that it may be honored if it gives them equal access.

I am a school counselor and have written many 504 accommodation plans.  I believe that the main idea here is that accommodations are to protect against discrimination and provide equal access.  It was a good reminder for me to remember that student success is not guaranteed because they are receiving accommodations.

I learned that accomodations are meant to provide equal access and does not take into consideration the success of the student. As a new career service advisor, I recognize how I could build rapport and assist in the accomodation process, but do not need to take that on on my own. It is eye opening to watch the one video shared of the individual in the wheelchair who advocated for her self and felt empowered by being able to do so. This topic has come a long way. 

I've learned that a critical distinction must be made between student accomodations for equal access vs. success.  The videos were helpful also to highlight legal considerations and to hear from an individual who advocated for equal access.

It's important to how and why an IEP is set in place and who can recive an IEP.

I learned that there is a difference between a 504 eligible student and a student that is one an IEP.

I appreciated the explanation that accommodations are not designed for student success, but for student access.  Big distinction that I believe students miss.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities