Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Contacting Employers | Origin: CS106

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Becoming an Effective Job Developer --> Contacting Employers

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I learned that actively listening is the best way to engage with employers. Take notes and try to reframe/redirect any objections you may receive. Your goal is to build a relationship, so invest your time.  

I found the information about contacting the employer to be very helpful. I love how it gave me information on how to probe for more information when on a call with the employer.

I learned that notes go a long way. Notes need to be clear, concise and to the point.

I learned about the various resouces you can use to find employers. It is helpful to create a schedule, research people in the key positions, create google alerts and ways to rebuttal if an employer is not interested or had a previous bad experience.

I've learned to keep detailed notes along with how important the business operating hours are.  

I've learned to also be educated about our insitution, just incase you have to answer question from employers. Student population, what we use to teach students etc. All this is important to know.

I especially liked the concept idea that  anything negative from the employer is a challenge and an opportunity to mend the issue and foster a positive business relationship. Seeing each challenge as an opportunity and a positive rather than a negative makes it easier to tackle head on because you don't feel as though you are already behind. 

Be engaging, quality of conversations had or more important that just dailing numbers. Be a good listener and respond accordingly, probe with open ended questions, reframe, clarify and add value.

I've learnned that its very important to educate yourself about your company because you never know what type of questions employers might ask you.

Taking notes and making sure all the correct information is very important. I have always been shy about askig for the pay rate. Something I did learn is it's ok to ask for a pay range.

I thought it very helpful regarding the Hot, Warm and Cold call references.   I appreciated the examples of what to say when calling employers.

I learned it is importnat to really build a dialouge. There isn't a megic number to hit with contacting employers but building quality relationships and really listening. 

This module stressed the importance of not approaching every employer with the same, rigid script. In order to address different needs for different references, one needs to engage in a dialogue.

I learned that active listening is one key element to speaking with potential hiring partners. 

I've learned that developing relationships with potential employers that you will hopefully be collaborating with in the near future and documenting all calls, is extremely important. I've learned at previous jobs, if it's not documented, it didn't happen.

• In this module, it gives me the tools of the trade, how to prospect, make cold calls and making contact, how to deal with objection and the common objections you may have to overcome and how many cold calls are needed.    Also, messaging, when and how to leave a message and what message should be left on a voicemail and how important it is to document your employer contacts and job orders.

In contacting employers, it is recommended that you invest time, build a relationship with the employer so that you have the opportunity to talk with them and share information and discover their needs, preferences, interests and specifics in choosing to work with you.  Do your best to create a custom approach to each employer.

When contacting employers, the career advisor must be aware of their timing, adjust to employers attitude for the day, and how to remain flexible when calling and speaking to a variety of different people. Depending on the cold, warm, or hot call, it is important that the advisor take notes for any future calls. 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities