Overview of Title IX and VAWA | Origin: CM140
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Title IX and VAWA Training: Building Safer Campuses --> Overview of Title IX and VAWA
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
VAWA requires employees and students to receive ongoing training for awareness and prevention, which is helpful and will ensure safety.
I found the Clery Act to be the most interesting piece of information in this module. After a 19 year old woman (Jeanne Clery) was raped and murdered from Lehigh University it was uncovered that the University had been hiding dozens of prior cases or sexual assault. The Clery Act holds institutions accountable to accurately track and report these cases, leading to prevention and response training for students and staff.
In this module, I learned about the provisions of Title IX and the Clery Act, including amendments made through the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act. I also learned about the roles and responsibilities of Title IX coordinators, as well as the responsibilities of institutional employees in responding appropriately to Title IX complaints. In addition, I learned about the disciplinary procedures for individuals who violate Title IX and reinforced my understanding of sexual assault and related issues.
learned a lot about title IX and VAWA
Learned more Title IX and VAWA during this course and the responsibilities of all.
It has come to my understanding that the rights of students and employees to be free from discrimination based on sex harassment and violence against women are covered by both the Title IX and Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). I have also understood the need for confidentially, support services and awareness of when to report to the Title IX Coordinator.
With that in mind, I am determined to use the above-mentioned knowledge by becoming conversant with the policies of the university, recognizing prohibited behaviors, and dealing with them in case any concerns are raised to me.
Through learning about Title IX and the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), I gained a better understanding of how these laws help create a safe and supportive environment for students. Title IX is designed to protect students from discrimination based on sex, including sexual harassment and sexual violence. It ensures that all students have equal access to educational opportunities and are able to learn in an environment free from discrimination.
From this module, I learned that Title IX and VAWA are important policies that help ensure a safe, respectful, and inclusive learning environment for all students and employees. I gained a better understanding of recognizing and responding appropriately to reports of discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. I also learned the importance of reporting concerns through the proper channels and supporting individuals with sensitivity and respect.
What I have learned from this module is that title IX and VAWA are a part of helping institutions promote the changing of campus culture and providing safe and supportive learning environments for all students and employees.
Title IX is a important to protect students and employees for sexual misconduct, also holds the work place responsible for investigating compliants.
I learned the important reasons for the implementation and enforcement of Title IX and VAMA. Additionally, the paramountcy of protecting the rights of students and employees.
I learned that Title IX and VAMA protects students and employee's. Also where to locate the information and who is point of contact.
This module reinforced the importance of maintaining a safe, respectful and inclusive environment for all students. I will apply what I learned by treating others with respect, recognizing inappropriate behavior and following the proper reporting procedures when needed.
What have you learned from this module and how do you intend to apply it?
I learned about Title IX, VAWA and the Clery Act. An institution's responsibility toward students and employees regarding discrimination regarding gender, sexual harassment, reporting incidents, and the role of Title IX Coordinator. I will be more aware of all the levels of incidents that are included and need to be reported.
I learned that Title IX protects students and employees from sex discrimination, sexual harassment, and related misconduct, and schools must respond properly through policies, investigations, and supportive measures.
I learned that Title IX protects students and staff from a vast number of potential infractions. Knowing how to conduct a proper investigation and implement these rules will be crucial to providing a safe environment for all of my students and staff.
These laws emphasize the responsibility of educational institutions to provide supportive measures, conduct fair investigations, and promote student safety without discrimination or retaliation. They also reinforce the importance of trauma-informed approaches, confidentiality, due process, and access to educational opportunities for all students involved.
I’ve learned in this module that Title IX and VAWA is designed to help protect students and and staff and creates a safe learning environment.
Title ix and vawa creates a safe , respectful and inclusive learning environment. Institutions are responsible for preventing any form of discrimination , harassment. understanding these policies will help me contibute to a positive environment where everyone is safe.