Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Overview of Title IX and VAWA | Origin: CM140

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Title IX and VAWA Training: Building Safer Campuses --> Overview of Title IX and VAWA

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Title IX was inacted to protect students, employees, or anyone from being discriminated against based on gender identity.  As an online instructor, we may not be aware of a student's sexual or gender identity but would still follow the law.  

We are an online environment so all the safety measures are not relevant to us.  Our students are from all over the U.S. so we will not be able to monitor the student's environment.  We have a duty to notify someone if we believe a student is a threat to anyone else or to themselves.

Reply to Robin Wiebe's post:I agree with you Robin except that I don't think being in an online environment necessarily makes us immune from sexual or gender-based harrassment. In fact, it has been my experience that students wil sometimes say things in an online discussion that they never would have in a face to face discussion. 

Yes I agree with you Tricia.  In my opinion students are more likely to post or type items they may not feel comfortable saying face to face to another person. The computer adds that anonymity.

Since Title IX was enacted for discrimination protection of students, employees, or anyone based on gender identity, as well as other aspects.  This ensures protection of students all over the U.S., living in various environments.  It is imperative that schools/institutions follow the laws and provide the information to faculty, staff, students; including the information to report issues.  It is our duty to notify someone if we believe a student is a threat to anyone else or to themselves, as well as other threats or issues.

Title IX was inacted to protect students, employees, or anyone from being discriminated against based on gender identity.  As an online instructor, we may not be aware of a student's sexual or gender identity but would still follow the law.  

This is why it is so important tp maintain professionalism and be familiar with these laws. One never knows the identity of another, especially online.

Title IX was inacted to protect students, employees, or anyone from sexual harrassment or misconduct and discrimination based on sexual preference or gender identity.  In an online environment I believe these situations are less frequent and less likely but still possible so certainly the same protections should exist.   

The overview of Title IX, VAWA and the Clery Act has been an excellent review.  Even when we teach in an online environment, we still need to be aware of all the regulations, policies, and pocedures. 

Reply to Tricia Reichert's post:Tricia, I agree that teaching in an online environment, we also have to be responsible for undertanding all this information to make sure our students are behaving appropriately.  

Title IX prohibits discrimination based on sex in educational programs and activites in all federally funded schools.  It protects student, employers, and others from all forms of sexual descrimination regardless of sex including Sexual harassment, sezxual violence, and gender identity discrimination.  It covers acts that occur on campus and at off-campus events sponsored by the college.  The college is responsible for taking "prompt and effective" steps to end the discrimination.  

Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act (VAWA) requires colleges to report sexual violence including rape, stalking, etc.  Colleges should have disciplinary procedures in place, and have policies in place to address sexual violence including training students and employees. 

The Clery Act is the law passed in 2013 that requires colleges to report annual statistics on crime in an annual security report.  Additional crimes were added including dating violence, domestic violences, stalking, sexual assualt, and gender identity. 

I feel very strongly about this issue and Iama full supporter of this! These acts occurr more than are reported. This issue still exists but more attention has been brought forward. 

In an online environmenmt as we are, we will not be dealing with most of these issues. Although it is still possible for students to make inappropiate statements to other students. However, I do agree that in on-camous environments we need to have these measures in place to protect all of our students. 

I feel that each institution log each incident and have a recording on what actions took place and follow-up to ensure that the occurrance or claim has been resolved. To just record the accident is not enough.

Example: I recall a Coach from Penn State who knew someone from his staff was acting and using his position of power to harsass Young Men for years. Finall result the Man received a long Jail sentence and Penn State was fine for 50 Million dollars for not reported and following up eaxch incident. I believe that the School or Institution is responsible.

What are your thoughts?

Reply to Robin Wiebe's post: Robin, How is the act their to protect the student if nothing is done with the information?  I thought that each Institution was suppose to get the information and make a report, then send to the Department of Education and do nothing else.

Am I understanding it correctly?

This is a very interesting subject.  I have been to a few trainings in the past couple years and the focus on campus procedure and awareness are so important.  Lots to learn here.  It is interesting to learn how this can happen even in an online environment.

I have seen much of this before. It doesn't hurt to see it again. 

I have had this training every year for more than a decade. 

I have taken this training previously but I really have only thought of it as an on campus training.  It is important as an on campus discussion but even more of a discussion for  online education.  An online class requires posts to discussions boards and emails.  I think it is important for all to understand the proper Etiquettewhen posting.  It is also very easy to hide behind a keyboard and sexually harass others.

I did learn quite a bit about the different entities such as VAWA that are associated with the Title IX that I have not thought of before.  It is good to know that there are several agencies working together to make a safe environment.

I have worked in previous institutions and have had Title IX training in the past and I have to admit this was a very detailed explanation on why Title IX exists. Title IX exists to help protect students from any unwanted situations that may jeopardize their personal well being. Im glad this exists to help protect ALL kinds of students regardless of race, gender, orientation, traditional or online. 

Sign In to comment