Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ethical Practices

Discuss three common ethical practices that are most important to you and why.

The first ethical practice that is important to me is to make sure that I am getting a student into the correct program, not just the program that is available for that quarter. The student will have the most success in a program that they want. Another ethical practice that is important to me is dicussing payment for school and the reality of student loans and that the student completely understands this. There are many students who live on their loans without thinking about the repayment of these. I have seen some students who max out their student loans without even having a degree to show for it, so I think this is an extremely important discussion to be had with the potential student. The last ethical practice is to tell the student the complete truth all of the time whether it is good or bad news, or if I don't know the answer. This helps me to be compliant at all times and makes me keep up with my education on changing policies and programs. If I dont' know something then I don't make it up. I simply email or call someone who knows the answer and relay that to the student.

Ethical practices that are important to me are being honest about the cost of going to school. Secondly, letting students know the reality of loans. Yes, loans mean they have to pay it back. Lastly, ensureing the the student gets the most up-to- date inforamtion about the programs.

I pride myself in providing accurate information to students regarding cost. I also never make any promises or guarantees regarding credit transfers, or placement.

I agree that getting the student into the right program is very important. I don't want to enroll someone just to have someone in a seat. I also think its important to be ethical in providing a student with answers to their questions. If you don't know, say you don't know and help find someone that does know!

Three ethical practices that are most important to me include giving prospective students all the information they need to make an informed choice. This includes full disclosure regarding the program, our results and how intensive it is. A second ethical practice is in regards to managing faculty and ensuring the quality of the program. Students deserve to get what they pay for and making sure faculty are staying on top of their responsibilities is an essential part of my duties. Ensuring we deliver what we promise is a primary ethical concern. Lastly, ensuring the massage scope of practice is followed by both students and faculty is a primary concern. Ensuring the integrity of the field is a primary responsibility of all licensed massage practitioners.

Eric,

It is interesting that you mention managing faculty-this the single most important piece to delivering the education that was promised to the student. Thank you for placing this in the spotlight.

Cindy Bryant

For me I believe having honest communication, being professional, and responsibility are among the most important. Every person from student to employers having open honest communication with one another will ensure a well ran school. Being professional will be a great example to the students of how things should be in the workplace.

1. Honest communication between all staff and students, this promotes a healthy positive environment in the work place and in the classroom.
2. Fair treatment of each student and employee, so that there is no discrimination. As a professional in your field, you should always foster respect,understanding and trust based upon the individual situation at hand. 3. Become familiar with your institutions "Mission Statement" and adhere to the "Ethical Practices and Guidelines set forth in your employee handbook. Most importantly, apply each of those practices on a daily basis, both on and off the job.

First, I believe it is very important to determine whether the student is qualified to enroll in a specific program. Once this has been established the student should be placed in the correct program to suit their educational and professional needs. Third, the student should have a clear understanding of the financial payout and repay of student loan debt, the rigorous schedule of learning, the demand on student resources both time and money, and a clear understanding of the length of the program as well as that graduation does not ensure employment in the profession.

First, I believe schools should strive to accurately describe programs to perspective students in all means of advertising/marketing utilized to attract students. Secondly, once a student enters the school for a tour it is essential that their questions be answered truthfully and that no inacurate or false promises are made. Lastly, imparting accurate information to students as they make their way through the financial aid maze is important, both in terms of helping students understand what their financial obligation will be and in terms of disclosing all options.

Bonnie,

Welcome to the forum. The goal of the Program Integrity rules were to create transparency for the student. Your position goes hand in hand with the new regs. Great job!

Cindy Bryant

Of the twelve elthical conducts outlined in the ethical standard section, here are the three that I feel most apply to me and why:

1) Honest Communcation: I work in admissions and I think that being forthright and honest with students really sets the standard for the college and gives the student the most accurate idea of their education and future at our institution.

2) Qualified Staff & Faculty: I think that as an educational institution, it is important that our faculty and staff are able to speak inteligently and fulfill their duties and responsibilities to the students.

3) Good Moral Character: I think it's important to remember that we are not here to take money from students. Nor are we here to make promises we can't keep. I think maintaining a good moral character and remembering that the student is the #1 priority is very important and always considering them and their future is key!

Amy,

Your response is very well thought out and thorough. Thank you for sharing with the group.

Cindy Bryant

1. When prospective students ask me about what kind of jobs are available once they earn their degree, I always am sure to notify them that the degree does not guarantee employment - it may qualify you for an interview but ultimately you must sell yourself to any employer.

2. When scheduling an incoming student for the class I am always sure to give them every peace of information available that is necessary for them to be successful in the program. That way I have the peace of mind that I did all I could for that student.

3. When students ask about financial aid and disbursement dates - I always make sure to get them to someone in that department and notify the student I am not qualified to talk to them about the status of their financial aid.

The three ethical practices that are most important to me are Honesty, being upfront about transferring of credits. And also making sure that this is what the student wants to do and it is the right career field for them. It's not fair to the student to just enroll them to fill seats, instead, it should be something they are interested in and excited about.

Eric,

Welcome! Thank you for sharing your position on guaranteeing employment, disclosures and using financial aid to the benefit of the student.

Cindy Bryant

Being knowledgeable is probably the most important ethical practice for me. It is important for me to have all of the information available on any given part of my job. I know that if I have the knowledge I need it will be easier for me to practice honest communication and good moral character. As a human being I try to keep good communciation and good moral character anyway. Using all three important components would only make me more effective and leave a much more positive impression with students, wile also helping our school's reputation by being someone that students can count on if they need help.

The ethical issues that are most important to me, or that I encounter, is making sure students understand that I am in admissions and therefore cannot answer Financial Aid questions for them, that I cannot make exceptions to rules due to their personal circumstances, and that I cannot simply accept their personal documents as official documents to complete their enrollment files. These are most important because they are the basis of everything we do here. All it takes is one person to say someone else got away with it to create a storm of accusations and chaos. Everything needs to be uniform. And the messaging that we give to students must always be consistent.

Christina,

HI! Sounds as if you have a wonderful grasp on your boundaries as an admissions representative. Failing to maintain those boundaries jeopardizes your current students, school and/or your position.

Cindy Bryant

Sign In to comment