Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Karen,

These are all great questions. If a student does not meet the criteria set forth what is your next step?

Cindy Bryant

Getting the students into the right program not the program we are currently filling and we need to direct student to it. We do student a gravely disservice when we put them into programs that we know they will have a difficult time navigating.

Troy,

The overall goal of a career college or any other educational institution is to ensure that academic welfare of the students. Placing students into programs where failure is eminent is a lose-lose situation.

Cindy Bryant

1. Honesty
2. Clear and transparent process
3. Proper guidance

This will provide a better chance for the student to be successful in the degree program they choose.

It is important to be honest and truthful to a student when a degree program is not right for them.

When training staff, I start with the following 3 steps:

1) Define Ethical - The word "ethics means different things to different people, which is a major reason why conflicts arise. Therefore, I outline the major ethical frameworks from philosophy: Categorical Imperative, Utilitarianism, Moral Relativism etc. The employee's preferred model is identified, and cross-referenced with the preferred model of the Board and Founder.

2) The Newspaper Test - Before making a decision I ask the staff member to think of this "What if your decision was published on the front page of the local newspaper? What would the readers think of your decision? They do not have to give the popular answer, but I want them to do a stakeholder analysis to determine how others will view the issue.

3) "What if" Analysis - When a conflict potential arises, we conduct "What if" analysis. For example:
- What if the decision harms the school's reputation?
- What if it leads to a lawsuit?
- What if it decreases the student's or colleague's future success etc.

If you ask these questions before making a decision, it usually leads to better decision. The golden rule in our school is "Never lie. Ever". We will deal with the truth, whatever it is. But we will not deceive, obfuscate, manipulate data etc. for money. Those willing to sacrifice integrity for money have no place in our organization. Honestly, they have no place in Higher Ed.

the three most important ethical practives that are important to me would be the enollment process because we need to make sure that the students enrolling understand that school is a commitment that will require studying and homework and dedication. Another practice would be is to make sure they understand the promissory notes. Students needs to know that payments are so weekly and it is like having a monthly bill. It ties in with the enrollemnt. If students know they would not beable to ne here everyday and have no money to pay school then they might want to reconsider school. Last would be absolute honesty with teh student from start to finish. it is so important to be transparent with the student that way everything is clear to them.

It is important to always be honest with the student when discussing tuition, responsible borrowing and accreditation.

The most important ethical practices are honesty in disclosures regarding future placement, getting a student into the correct program and the correct term. Some students want to start classes and for some reason need to postpone their enrollments, if we rush them to start they probably drop. It is better to let them know that we have another start in the future, so they can take care of their situation before getting into college.

Matthew,

Welcome to the forum. This is a great training exercise. By asking your team what ethics means to them allows you determine whether or not their ethics align with the colleges. The newspaper test allows the employee to envision their decisions in a critical situation. Finally it is seldom that colleges have an opportunity to rethink their their decisions and analyze the next best way to handle a situation.

Cindy Bryant

Our main goal is always having good ethics.Before a student start we talk about the cost of going to school and then to make sure we're getting them into the right program. Also we go step by step of how they wil progress thoughtout their academic year and most important to have an open door policy to answer any questions they may have.

Thomas,

Hi! It is clearly understood that your admissions team practices transparency and disclosure when enrolling students but being an institution that caters to multicultural demographics would you say that ethical practices are universally understood?

Cindy Bryant

For me, the most important ethical practices are: Transparency, integrity and compliant culture. I am the Director of Admissions at my Institution and my duty is to keep compliance and be sure that the admissions and enrollment process were executed as established by the university and the accreditation agencies. I also encourage my staff to have honest communications with students and always be professional, that will create a lasting relationship and also will contribute to retention.

Marlin,

As a Director of Admissions you play an important roll in your college. You must delicately balance motivating your team to obtain goals and insure that they are meeting federal guidelines.

Cindy Bryant

I believe you should never misrepresent your school, always provide accurate answers to your students and never mislead the student.

The most important to me is integrity, full disclosure and accurate advisement because these are the ones with the most potential to positively or negatively impact students in their educational goals.

Three ethical practices I follow are honest communications, integrity, and fair treatment.

Students, parents, alumni, and all involved in my profession should be provided honest feedback, even if the honest answer is, "I don't know, but I will find out for you, or I will find someone who can better answer your question." This includes, not withholding information.

Integrity to do what is right even when no one is watching.

Treating all students and employees fairly, with respect, and making sure no one feels I have inappropriately handled a situation, or being, based on bias.

Angela,

Treating students fairly should be an assumed entitlement. The only way to manage an orderly classroom is with non-bias and equality. Students always notice how you treat others.

Cindy Bryant

Candice,

While it is important that you provide accurate information, how do you insure that you are always on top of the regulatory changes?

Cindy Bryant

The three most important ethical practices would be honesty, the enrollment process and the financial process. If the school or its employees seem shady they may put a potential student on edge or make a student wary about registering at the school. Depending on how you answer the students questions may also have an impact on how they perceive the school. You always want be positive, answer to the best of your knowledge, sincerely, and look for the students best interest also.
The enrollment process is also important because the student is entering an agreement with the school. If the student has to pay money when registering the student may not be entitled to getting any money back. The student has to be sure that they understand exactly what they are to do and what is expected of them as a student and financially.
The student should know how much they will have to pay and by when. The student should know the terms in which they are getting into.

That is a very good answer. Some students do procrastinate and then by the time the first day of school is here some students may not be ready to start. By letting the student know they can come to the next program start the student might feel more at ease and not be in a rush to get stuff done which could cause mistakes to be made or be forgetful of other things. Making sure they are in the right class is also important because students have to be on the correct rosters.

Sign In to comment