Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would say that explaining to students that they are taking out loans and what type of loan they are and the interest rates is one of the most important ethical practices. This makes sure the student is fully aware of what type of financial contract they are entering into. I also believe in not pressuring a student to leave another school. Often students are deciding between schools, and I give the facts about our school but never speak negatively about other colleges.

Alexis,

This is great information and an important practice. Students need to fully understand their financial obligations offered at any school that they may be considering.

Cindy Bryant

Honest communication, qualified staff & faculty, and letting students know I work in admissions and not financial aid, are the three ethical practices I face the most with enrolling students.

I do not work in financial aid, so I am not qualified to help or answer any questions a student may have about their financial aid or FASFA. As well as not working with financial aid questions with a student, I try to be honest and give the students qualified answers with their enrollment process. Letting students know specifics about their opportunities with their degree, and giving them honest information about the classes in their major are two things I am qualified to answer. Being qualified in my field and being honest with students allows the students to have a better experience at our institution.

I feel that it is important to make sure that the student is fully informed of the financial obligation that they are going to have in order to complete their education. I also want to make sure that the student has made an informed decision about the program that the choose. Not only that they are going to be able to gain employment in that field but that our college is their best choice for the path that they are taking.

Mary,

Hi, I completely agree with your response. In our industry it is important that everyone learn as much as possible about their school and understand their role within the institution.

Cindy Bryant

Providing accurate program information to students to ensure they are enrolling in the program that best fits what they want. I want to enroll a student in a program best fitted for them, not just enrolling them to fill a seat.

Being an online institution I will encourage students that they get a computer and internet before they start class. It will not help student success if they enroll without reliable access to a computer and high speed internet.

It is really importnant to me that i stress our institution cannot guarantee employment after graduation.

The most important ethical practices to me are tomake sure i am not guarenting or being misleading during any part of the enrollment process. Its not about just getting another body inthe school but making sure i let the potential student know about every part of the process the intended major and if i dont have all the information find the program director so they can give correct information that i may not know.
Making sure that i am giving proper recommendation and not just trying to enroll someone, helping the potential student find the right major based on or interview making sure they pick a field they will make their career and can truly see themselves happy not just a major i want to put them in because it was the first thing the thought they wanted. Finding out what they need. And if they are not ready for school per my recommendation or i have a lot of concerns making sure i address those concerns with the potential as well as my DOA.
Making sure the potential student is fully awarer of the financial aid process understanding the loans the interest rates and repayment options and plans, understanding if monthly payments are necessary or what the best options are for them. I dont want a potential lost in the dark about financial aid because that will also depict how their future will be after finishing school.

Three common ethical practices that are important to me include proper explaining or getting someone that can explain in detail what kind of curriculum/courses they will be taking. Next, I think it is important that students are made aware what the cost of the education and what they are receiving from the educational institution. Lastly, I think it is vital that prospective students understand the loan repayment plan down to the last detail.

First I think that truth in advertising is one of the most important things we can do in ethical behaviors. Answering a potential students questions with honesty will save you some problems down the road. If your institution cannot provide what was promised in error you lose integrity.

For me ethically I want to know I am helping the student to the best of my ability. When a student comes with no ideas on what kind of degree they desire the first ethical thing I do is to be honest with them. I discuss the possibilities. Secondly, my ethics will not allow me to get enroll them because we want to have the numbers up. If the student has external forces which would preclude them from really working on the education at hand, then am I really helping the student? I have to take into consideration the student's focus. If it is on the child they have who does not have consistent daycare, or transporation issues, these things will weigh on the students mind and they will not be successful in the classes. Lastly, I want to discuss with the student about the time it takes to learn. We are on a quarter system. Very quickly it is midterm, then suddenly it is the finals in a quick 10 weeks. The student needs to understand the commitment needed to be successful.

I believe in being honest with the potential student. Not everyone is suited for school. I want to see the potential student be as successful as possible by placing them in the program that best suits them. I also believe that if a student is committed to their education than they are more likely to see the program through.

We want everyone to succeed and to achieve this we provide an open and healthy learning environment for out students that is free of discrimination, judgment and bullying. We strive to keeping communication lines open and encouraging students to come forth with any concerns, questions or praises. Lastly, we believe in being upfront and honest about loans and what is expected when going into a financial agreement with our school.

Brandy,

Thank you so much for participating in the forum. Having a healthy environment where students feel that they can trust instructors and staff members is conducive to elevating learning.

Cindy Bryant

The top three ethical practices in my opinion include:
1. Full disclosure of information to the student and the public. This includes providing accurate information as well as not omitting any facts regarding the school or profession.
2. Responsibilities of the staff/faculty of the school appropriately designated. I feel the separation of responsibilities and the check/balances approach ensure the laws are being upheld and students protected.
3. In general, following the guidelines and practicing the standards set upon the industry by the DOE and accrediting agency a school chooses. I believe the ethical practice must embrace, at least with intention, to follow all the guidelines for such. Otherwise, it would be unethical selectively.

Rita,

Thank you for sharing your ethical practices with the group. Once those around us understand who we are and what we stand for then our character never comes in to question. Based on your response you are driven by integrity and motivated through compliance.

Cindy Bryant

Ethical practices must be a thread that weaves throughout the culture of any school, it starts with admissions and goes through financial aid, academics and finally to career services. A key ethical practice is to properly qualify a student for enrollment in a particular program to help to assure their success. A second ethical practice is to make sure in entrance counseling that the student clearly understands the cost of the program of study and how these costs will be covered in their aid package. A third ethical practice is to make sure that upon graduation the graduate is prepared to seek employment in their field, follow-up and follow-thru are critical in this phase.

When changing the life of someone you should keep in mind that they are here now because they are ready to make that change. It is our job to give the student the clearest path to making their dream a reality. We need to be honest, informative, and knowledgable about all aspects of the institution. Answer any questions that the prospective student might have so that they are able to make the best decision based on facts. Also, offering guidance through the entire process and seeing out their success. I think it is important that they completely understand the program demands, the cost they will be expected to repay and when that takes place, and know that we are here to help them along the way.

Kelly,

Hi! I really appreciate the ownership that you have taken in facilitating the students dream into a reality. You become the resident expert for that student and they person that they will go to with questions or concerns. They have a bridge of trust with you and it is your responsibility to protect the bridge. Thank you again.

Cindy Bryant

Ethic is very important,and should be practice
by every one,we should be honest and respectful
to our Student.They will understand it is the right thing to do.

Three ethical practices important to me are never discussing information with student that is out of my pay grade, to always go above and beyond for your students to ensure they are successful, and to stay in contact with them after to make sure they are succeeding.

Sign In to comment