Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

There are a multitude of practices that are ethical and required but utmost in my mind are:
1. Getting the student in the right program for them based on their interest and qualifications.
2. Informing them about the cost of the program, any loan information and payback requirements.
3. Reality of job placement in their program choice and realistic pay rate to ensure that they can live and meet any loan repayment responsibilities.

For me it's extremely important to be truthful and have someone else's best interest at heart. If for any reason you don't know the answer to a question, it's ok to say you don't know and refer this person to someone that will guide them through the correct path.

1. honesty and integrity above all else.

2. Giving a student correct and exact information.

3. Securing student information in accordance with FERPA.

We must protect the integrity of the processes and practices of our institution at all times because we represent something much larger than ourselves.

definitely honesty with your teammates, coworkers and colleagues to keep the harmony, positive ambiance and communication. other practices can be treating others as you would like to be treated and no gossiping at work!

The ethical practices most important to me are those guiding my interaction and presentation to students. Certainly the existing government regulatoins will motivate my compliance and corall my words and actions, but far more important will be the person sitting across from me. I owe that person the courtesy of speaking only truth regarding our classes, graduation rates, instructors, and costs. If I say one thing and then send the student off to encounter something different, I am setting that student up for disappointment and potential failure. This is the opposite of why I am working in education.

Integrity, Honesty and Compliant

be ethical all the time, dont lie, cheat or steal, you are in admissions to help and guide students, i would rather miss a budget that hurt a student

I believe being honest and genuine in all your communications is important.
I also feel that it is important to have a positive work attitude, asking what can I do to build our community, rather than asking what am I getting out of this.
But the most important ethical practice that I entreat my students with each class is to seek understanding in all their interactions. when you seek to understand first, you find that you no longer sit in a position of judgement, but rather a place of support.

Marina,

Building a community within a school is great way to connect with students. Employees who have a sense of community help build a stronger school which leads to more content students. All of these factors leads to higher retention.

Cindy Bryant

Ethics are very important in my field. I teach health sciences. You need to establish trust among your patients. So honesty is of upmost importance. Having solid ethical standards on what is right and wrong. I am not talking about having an opinion on a medical decision, but rather knowing that dispensing drugs to someone just because they want them is wrong. Stealing drug samples from the office is wrong. Mistakes will happen, it is up to you to tell the truth and admit when you make a mistake, especially if it involves a patients health. You have to maintain legal standards in ethics. You cannot tell someone if a mutual friend has been in the office, that is a legal violation. You have to uphold a strong ethical stance on confidentiality when you work in the medical field. You also cannot pass judgement on others.

First and foremost make sure the student has chosen the right program that will meet their needs. Secondly make sure they understand their financial obligation with the help of our Financial Aid Department and lastly make sure they have realistic career goals.

I think ethical practices are very important in having a successful school and programs. Some of the practices that we use are full explanations of the programs, making sure the prospective student chooses the right career for them and discussing financial Aid opportunities.

Deidre,

I would like to address students setting realistic career goals. The main reason for the Program Integrity rules was to ensure that students were informed regarding the program, it's cost, graduation rates and employment opportunities. As we have moved forward with these rules it seems that students are becoming more educated and involved in their own career goals. The fact that your department is helping reinforce the goals that admissions has laid the ground work for creates a powerful synergy.

Cindy Bryant

Heather,

Thank you for joining the forum and sharing your viewpoint. It sounds as if you create a highly compliant learning environment for your students.

Cindy Bryant

Jessica,

Assisting students determine their career path is a very important position to be in. YOU are helping students determine the course that will impact the rest of their life.

Cindy Bryant

Being non-discriminate is important in institutions. Institutions are usually quite diverse with regards to colour, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, and much more. It's important to take this into consideration when customer service comes into play, and how we treat people/students. Plagiarism is also important. Institutions must deal with this type of misconduct/behavior as required by law. Lastly, promotional activities is an ethical concern as well. Institutions have recruiters, and marketing efforts by third parties/vendors and someone needs to oversee that the institution is not doing anything illegal, otherwise face certain consequences.

1. We follow all standards and regulations. We make sure that any employee hired into a position here are qualified in all areas.
2. Our staff must be very knowledgeable in the subject area they are employed in. All employees whether staff and/or faculty are required to complete two professional developments a year relating to their position in the school.
3. Honest communications - we share everything possible with our staff, students, and alumni. We hide nothing from the time that they come in our doors. We are very open with them with all areas.

It is very important to enroll the student in the program they dream with, provide them with the accurate information about the institution and if they have questions that we don't have the answers, we just need to let them know that we are going to make sure with our director first and then get back to them.

Getting a student into the correct program, and the correct term. Some students want to start classes and for some reason need to postpone their enrollments, if we rush them to start they probably drop. It is better to let them know that we have another start in the future, so they can take care of their situation before getting into college.

I always ensure that the student is enrolled in the correct program for them. I also give them all information regarding the program address all of their concerns.

Sign In to comment