Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Successfully Handling Challenges and No Shows | Origin: AD114

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Adapting Your Communication for Successful Connections --> Successfully Handling Challenges and No Shows

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I was really struck by the "rule of reciprocity" - I never considered the transactional nature of an initial meeting or attempt to contact a student before. Very valuable.

Not much to say about this module but found very essencial to know three techniques to adress challenges, and those are overcome, outweigh, and weaken.

An admissions Professional must understand the propspective student's needs and offer the different alternatives and help the student to have all the traininig for the best decision-making.

• I agree with utilizing techniology automated text or emails for appointmetn confirmations.   Listening for the emoltional hot buttons will allow you to get past the surface objections to discover the real objection or why they did not show.  If you cusomize your appointment set you will have more shows.

Getting into the mindset of a prospective student will help be more proactive in the admissions process. If you take into consideration how the candidate is feeling and how they need to be addressed, tailoring the approach to their needs will prove the best outcome.

Great takeaway: Using the text service to follow up and remind students to reduce no shows. 

I know I have used money in the past as a cover because I felt uncertain about an institution and its program. in this case, I understand the importance of admissions trying to better understand the student to get a break through and eventual enrollment of the prospect.

Using techniques to address, validate and diminish challanges is a way to create trust with the prospective student. I found this section helpful in approaching a challange as an opportunity and overcoming that challange will ultimately result in stronger performance. 

Objections from prospective students should be welcome as this is an indication of trust.  Use the techniques to address the objections. Be transparent about the cost of tuition and highlight the value of the program and return in investment to their future. Don't take "no shows" personally. things do come up, just contact them again and reschedule. 

Ofetn times and in my experince admissions personnel will ignore a challge with cost wih a take it or leave it attitude simply because they believe they may be the student's only choice.  It also comes back to our attitude and enrgy, if those are not positive then we risk losing many prospective students and effectively not doing our jobs well. this module is a great resource in training the AO in dealing with challenges students face

I'm going to use the Feel, Felt, Found statements more often-even outside of advising! It's a great tactic to addressing concerns and issues. 

One key point I took from this lesson is that as technology advances so does the preferred methods of communication. 

Addressing challenges are the key to giving students the information they need to make final decisions to attend school.  We must meet their challenges with confidence and assurance that our school can meet their needs.

Comment on Claude Beckles's post: Most likely people don't even pick up their phone when they dont recognize the number. now with text and emails and using technology does help connecting with this generation

I learn not to think no shows are not interested and reschedule them for a second time, things can happen, and they probably miss their appointment. Also, I will implement to send a remainder of their appointments thru text messages.

Challenge and Resistance show that the students is interested. Simply not caring is worse for the sales process.

This showed several ways we can deal with challenges that our prospects bring up and ways to reduce no-shows by using simple techniques. 

No shows should not just be immediately cancelled/not followed up with. Things happen/come up, and while they may not be ready now they may be in the future. Additionally, students may prefer texting over calling. Using the feel, felt, found method is an additional tool that can be helpful.

Accept objections/ critiques.  Be transparent

Sign In to comment