Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would first set up a goal for the whole team and try to inspire each team member

After learning about the textbook knowledge of what are the six leadership styles, how they work, their pros and cons, and when they are best implemented, I realize that at an almost unconscious level I easily traverse the use cases for each. I've certainly had the opportunity to learn from major mistakes, such as being too coercive or authoritative, but I navigate using coaching, affiliative, and the other styles based on the employees of my team and the environment (flexibility to get the job done, freedom to try new ways/strategies, and more).

My biggest takeaway is actually affrimation of my approach to management and leadership which is that you have to be adaptable based on the situation as to what approach you will take. As a parent, for example, you may be affiliative with your children together during an activity, but if your toddler runs off towards the street, you have to be coercive in order to correct that behvior in the moment.

I've been in leadership positions on several levels, including teams of 3, as an instructor of 20, as a manager of 30, and as a director of nearly 100.  Leadership is fluid, and yet there is a steady current which needs to be constant beneath the surface.  Dependability is a word I have tried to embody, that there are things that will always be true, and one of those is that I will listen.  I may not answer how it is hoped, and that can be both good and bad, though the aforementioned dependability and steady center of my style usually win out.  Difficulties are well known, including those personalities which seem to simply demand strife and tribulation nevermind the potential for disruption of the task at hand, and the most important lesson I learned was to focus on the task and spend only the required time and energy on those problems.

I found the videos about the two principals very compelling. My main leadership style is coaching and I loved the value and respect both principals showed for both students and faculty. As a leader we must give our staff time and space to make mistakes in order to grow their abilities and confidence. As leaders we also have to make tough decisions, those under our direction must do their job. We have to put the students first. 

I was familiar with older types of Leadership styles (Democratic, Authoritarian, Lassiz Faire). It actually came as a surprise to see so many different types. 

I've learned there are more leadership styles than anticipated and that one's leadership will encompass many traits from other styles. However, we all have a dominant leadership style.

interesting. Sometimes I lead and sometimes I manage those who I'm training to lead one day.

I definitely bend towards leadership by consensus.  This is great when everyone is steering in the same direction—not so much when they aren’t.  My challenge is also inspiring team members towards a goal without coming across as pushy.  You want people to be heard, and their ideas valued, but at the end of the day a direction has to be chosen.  Navigating this process is what I hope to glean from these lessons.

I am cautious around individuals who claim to be one leadership style. Being a leader demands that you approach each situation, that requires leadership and not management, with the unique circumstances that it deserves. So any leadership style you use to approach situation, granted it is an appropriate style to use, needs a negative feedback style to provide stability. 

What I see especially with new managers and leaders is that they default to their most comfortable style and become monostyled which almost always leads to burn out or just failure. When you see accomplishment by a team under this leaderhip, it is because the compentency of the team. A negative feedback element in your style, will provide a linear output and that means more stability for your team. It doesn't mean it will provide the highest productivity, it just means you and your team are in it for the long haul and not the short term gains. 

The video was amazing!  It made me laugh, it got me all teared up, but most importatly inspired to give it all!

I learned there are many leadership styles. I have always lead by chain of command and following orders from policy and or daily job expectaions. I am most of the time done with tasks piror to all of my colleagues. I then like to assit them in completing these goals or objcectives. This is my leasdership style, dependable and taking care of business. 

I enjoy leading in a democratic style, I enjoy hearing others input and try to come to a group response. Its important to incorporate and hear what others have to say. I didn't realize how many management styles there was. 

As a leader my focus is to maintain an environment to support my team success, this way we all get great results.   

It is easy to get caught up in the thought that managing, or being a dictator means you are leading... Oh how wrong I was.

It is important to be able to move between leadership styles dependent of the institutional culture, norms, and communication styles of team members.

I love the course. I plan on making sure that I have communicated realistic and clear expectations. I will also being empathetic and listening.

I know my safe area...that is as a leader who falls back to the rules....the one who can back it up with the content.  Yet, I know in my heart that I need to be much more situational...and I have applied that as I grow.  I find this is the best way to get buy-in from others in my team....it isn't always just with the facts!

Hello Everyone, 

I have learn a lot in this module. I have learned that I use multiple styles to lead, such as Democratic, Coaching, Pace Setting and at times authoritative. It depends on the situation but I'd say that mainly I lead by example and I actively listen not only to my students but also my instructor. I definitely try to ideas from her when we come to something that just isn't working. I feel like receiving that feedback and then reassessing the situation and at that point coming to a resolution is key to the success of our students. 

I had no idea there were so many diverse types of leadership. I realized I would want to apply different styles of leadership according to the situation and goal, and that a good leader frequently does so.

Sign In to comment