Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning about the various leadership style and finding myself in each one, good and bad,  has been very enlightening. 

I learned a lot about diffirent leadership styles and how certain things can be met. I learned that a leader really needs to flexible in terms of getting everything done. 

I learned that I need to flex my style a bit more depending on the situation. I try to avoid coercion at all costs, but in some instances it is necessary. In other instances, I should probably be less democratic than I normally am, especially when people are looking for someone to take the lead and guide everyone to a better place. I also liked the thoughts of Warren Bennis. Without a sense of purpose or connection to something that is positive and larger than us, work can turn into drudgery and merely following a bunch of policies and rules because they have been created institutionally. Most of us need that connection to the "why". 

I am relieved to know that I have several leadership styles. I, 5too, feel the leadership style can change depending upon the situation.

It was very interesting learning the different leadership approaches. While I have had experience with multiple leadership styles, I was not aware of the actual definitions, and this training has given me the opportunity to understand each type of leadership style a little more. This helps me understand my own leadership style. I have noticed, I do not fall under one category, but I see myself in different leadership styles based on different situations.

A key take-away from this lesson is that great leaders change their leadership style based on the situation versus sticking with the style that is most comfortable for their personality. I definitely want to implement this more into my day to day, and have more intention around using and exploring the different leadership styles.

A leader needs to inspire his team towards achieving results. I will make my team feel important and use inspirational stories and examples to guide and influence them. I will also be innovative, caring, truthful, consistent, committed and open to their opinions while presenting my competence and ability to drive change encourage them towards achieving outcomes.

Taking a learning point from Warren Bennis's list on what good leaders do, I am going to focus more on providing hope to my team.  I am a subordinate leader in an organization that has undergone constant change in leadership for the last three years.  The uncertainty about our efforts/mission has led to many folks to retire or leave for other opportunities.  I want to be more intentional about providing a vision for my team that reiterates our purpose.

I learned a lot about myself and my leadership styles.  I actually have a style that contains components of more than one style.  This class was very informative and gave me a lot to think about.

While I've always been drawn to leadership positions, I learned that leadership isn't just from personality.

I like to lead through shared governance.

I lead with transparency and honesty.  It is hard to have difficult conversations and I never shy away from making sure they happen when needed

I have a hard time leading at times due to worrying about peoples feelings. I want to become more of a leader and less of a manager.

The most valuable lesson which i have learned from this topic is that a leader can choose to apply different leadership styles based on the current situation. If a turnaround is required, coarsive leadership can be applied. If I intend to improve the performance of employees, I can apply coaching leadership style. Thus, I can portray more than one leadership style to ensure that I achieve results in my future leadership positions. 

I believe a tend to lead with a combination of a role up sleeves pacesetting and coaching styles, while I can see times in which I have used a democratic or affiliate styles as well. Situational leadership is definitely helpful in identifying what is best for each ocassion, but you should not be jumping around with different styles all the time.

I am looking forward to learning my leadership style from this module.

I agree that leadership styles do change depending on the situation, however, one style seems to be our dominate style.  Giving a voice can create insight into situations and develop responsibility.  

I learned that it is okay and often acceptable and needed to flex between different leadership styles.  While there is one where I feel the most comfortable, there may be times when I am expectedt o switch for the good of the team and company. 

It was also an eduaction to see the different ;eadership styles. I still believe i have much tpo learn about each style and how to apply them to differnt scenarios

I didn't realize that there were so many styles but I am glad to seee me in more than a few styles. I see the benefit of each as well as the downfalls and I think that is where personal values shine through. People are fluid and ever changing and basic principals should alwys lead decisions, however, adaptablity to changing situations is also a sign of a good leader. 

Sign In to comment