Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Jesus ,
Stress sometimes pushes to higher levels of performance. We get a rush of accomplishment when good stress works for us.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I would step away for a minute or two fromt that location if possible. I would try to identified the stress triggers and consider each situation as a “learning experience” for the next time around.
Alex

Alex,

Our lives are full of learning experiences. Your ability to benefit from your learning experiences helps you adapt to future experiences. This why people begin to see you as a leader with wisdom. Stress can be reduced by your wisdom of dealing with the challenges in front of you.

Whenever I am stressed at work I try to take some deep breaths or listen to music. If that does not work, I try to find a co-worker I can vent to our laugh with and that typically does the trick. Sometimes I even email my significant other and vent to them to get an outsiders perspective. Typically just the act of talking about it and getting the stress/feelings out of me really helps.

Jessica,
It is helpful if you have someone you can talk with about your situations. Just talking it out sometimes solves the issue or gives you some ideas on how to resolve the problem.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I have learned to avoid over scheduling meetings within a day. I prioritize task in order of significance and work on high priority tasks. Projects that appear overwhelming are approached in a progressively manner. Delegating responsibility is a superb tool; and, it engages coworkers in projects and organizational objectives. I welcome suggestions and can compromise. I have compelled myself to take two to three short breaks during the day to clear my thoughts and break the monotony. On occasion, I take lunch breaks. I love the suggestions for confronting toxic worries by naming the problem, thinking constructively about the problem, developing alternative hypotheses, revising fundamental assumptions about myself, and sharing my concerns with a trusted person. These are superb techniques. I endeavor to assist coworkers with stress by providing support, motivation, and information. I strive to maintain open lines of communication, praise good work performance, and expression appreciation for excellent work.

I tend to see the problem from the beginning and try to develop several ways to overcome the problem.

Our company has experienced many changes, mergers and downsizing over the last 3 years. Our department workload has increased, while many other departments were downsized. This has created some "suvivor stress" amongst our department. We are a cohesive unit and work as a team. Much of what we do to combat stress is meet to discuss our feelings and fears and plan for the future.

Janelle,
It is aways best to put it out in front of everyone. Keep trust and honesty in front of all the employees.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Shawn,
Dealing with any problems is good to track it back to the precedent behavior. When you know why something is happening then it is easier to come up with a good plan.

Dr. Gary Carlson

As everyone else has said, exercise is a great way to calm nerves. It at least allows one to fall asleep rather than toiling over the problem. I work in a kitchen and often times I will go into the cooler to scream. That has a calming effect.

Ryan,
Release of emotion is the healthy practice we all need to learn. Screaming in the cooler works for you but I would even look farther into the best practices for release of emotion. There are numerous activities that can release stress. A balance plan of exercise, good health habits, mental activity aside from work, recreation, spiritual rejuvenation and others keep us in the right fram of mind to accomplish great things.

Dr. Gary Carlson

If I notice that someone in the workplace is stressed or anxious I sit with them for a bit. I listen to their worries and offer some suggestions on how to solve their issue. Acknowledgement of someone's feelings is so important.

Tracy,
In short people don't care what you know until they know that you care!

Dr. Gary Carlson

when I am stress out what help is taking a long walk releasing all my madness or go fishing. But sometimes it doesn't work but truly as a human we can only take so much whatever you can release will help

Arlene
We all have a breaking point, If we can avert this spot is a good idea, We can only control what we can, sometimes a walk or just solitude helps, If you can predict your explosion point before it happens take your walk then, Your health will benefit from your astute awareness on emotion and blood pressure,

Dr. Gary Carlson

I agree and have used this method many times myself as well as tried to listen when others need to vent. If you get things out in the open you can often clear up the stress quickly

Ian,
87% of our communication skill comes from being a good listener. When people do the talking and we listen it is easier to respond intelligently. With keeping our emotions in tack and following with reasonable and rationale direction our people have a stronger trust for you as a leader.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I try to lend an ear to others. It helps me to talk about things that stress me out.

Mary,

87% of great communication is listening. We can respond and the communicators work better together by listening to the person. This skill is made up of listening appropriately with facial expression and body language that supports the person talking.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment