Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I find that taking a "time-out" for a few minutes helps me "de-stress". It doesn't have to be for long periods of time, if time doe not allow, just long enough to "walk-away" so that when you return you do so with a more positive outlook.

Sophia,
If you can stepping back from a moment to clear your thoughts and set aside any emotion is a great technique. Many people so this in many different ways. Going for a walk, exercise, reading, meditation, rest and others are all great ideas to focus.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I always try to bring my sense of humor to work, to lighten the mood a little. There is a special effort I put into communicating to colleagues and students and that is a positive outlook, always find the silver lining. My personal stress reducer is running, I never feel so free as I do when I run.

Sandra,
A sense of humor is important for our health. Laughing is a healthy medicine for all of us. When we can lead a balanced life with mental activity, exercise, healthy eating and spiritual rejuvenation we can approach each day stronger.

I am a bicycler and know what you are talking about when riding.

Dr. Gary Carlson

The easiest way for me to handle workplace stress is to simply stop and breathe. Giving myself a mental break and reminding myself that I'm capable of handling almost anything that comes my way prevents my self talk from spiraling out of control. When I get home I take 15-20 minutes to center myself and put all of my work thoughts into their proper place. Once this is done I'm ready to take on my kids without any of my work stress spilling over into my family life.

Jeff,

it is interesting you refer to centering yourself. Dealing with stress is the ability to balnace yourself with good health habits, exercise, mental acitivity and spiritual rejuvenation. Your ability to breathe and step back is a great reaction to stress.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Something I try to remember when I feel stress at work is that I always do the best that I can. That usually knocks the edge off any stress that I feel.

Michael,

Positive motivation and focus has been good practices to keep the stress from taking over. We have stress that motivates us and if it doesn't become excessive we are rewarded by the accomplishments.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I stopped using the computer at home and working from home altogether. Not bringing work home has been a great way I've reduced stress.

Monica,
Bringing work home and brining the stress of work home is defnitely not a good thing. We should have a balanced life of good heatlh habits, recreation, exercise and spiritual rejuvenation.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Some of the ways that I handle stress at work is aromatherapy oils. I have a specific blend called Peace and Calming. I drop some on my wrist and rub it together and put it up to my nose and breathe deeply. I then wipe it across my neck pulse points and through my Aura. When ever I walk in a room someone always remarks about how good I smell. I love to use meditation and visualization to feel more connected with my body. As you can probably guess, I am the Massage Therapy Instructor! :)

Kerry ,

You made me want to go right out and get some aromatherapy oils. I usually recommend some more ideas but you seem happy with what your are doing. Best of all it works for you.

Dr. Gary Carlson

This is a idea. I had to learn to leave work at work in order to have a less stress load. Sometimes we overwhelm ourselves and don't realize it.

Stop and reflect on what just took place and then handle the problem.

Doinysius,
Taking time with any decision is important. If you can wait it is always good to refect first.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Shiketheia,
Taking negative thoughts home is never good. This is the old kick the dog syndrom.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I have utilized relaxation techniques as well as participated in sports that interest me. I tend to talk with peers who are positive and uplifting.

Sylinda,
It is good to have al balanced life with some of the techniques you are already using. I would recommend we have good health habits, recreation, exercise, mental activities and spiritual rejuvenation.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I have handled workplace stress by walking around in the building, and talking/joking with other employees. The physical activity that was in the learning is a technique that I like and found helpful. I like to joke and laugh to relieve stress also.

Tom,
Relieving stress is a balance of activity. Yours seems to work for you Mental activity, recreation, good health habits and spiritual rejuvenation all are good habits.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment