Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One thing that I have noticed to be very helpful in my experience is being a good listener and relating to the person in stress, usually when it is toxic stress; being there for a co worker or a friend when they're stressed, encouraging them to talk to you and vent for a few minutes, will help them to overcome and start thinking more clearly; the fact that they are hearing a different approach to their problem, even with a possible solution, will give them some relief.

i get a stress relieving massage once a week

In my opinion, as a professional and a mother of three, the best way to combat stress is to be organized. If I can plan as much as possible while maintaining balance, I can achieve a better result in anything I do. Planning avoids feeling overwhelmed. I also refuse to procrastinate - I strive to overachieve so that when things happen that are out of my control, I land somewhere in the middle. I accept that lots of things are not in my control but I try to "stack the cards" in my favor as much as possible by following those two rules.

Aristides,
Taking a moment and walking away from the situation is a very important.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Derek,
We always know that all things don't run smooth all the time. Your perception is important for completing a successful day.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Naebelys,
Sharing and getting away from the hustle and bustle is important to have a clear head in decision making.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I encourage everyone to exersize daily. It has helped me tremendously. Daily exersize is the best way to combat stress and it can be done very inexpensively.

Diane,

I have always found exercise as a great method for better health and stress relief. We all need a good balance in our life with mental activity, recreation, exercise and spiritual rejuvenation.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Handling workplace stress for me has been to take a moment and pray for calmness. I also use the opportunity to get away if possible and take a walk and breathe.

Julie,

Takin a break and getting away for a breath is always a good reality check. Peace is where you can find it. We all have our own outlets. You can be in control when you have the cognizance to make your decision to be alone and think.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Setting time to address with my manager what is causing stress and getting feedback and suggestions.

Shannon,

If you can find someone with a commonsense attitude who can listen to your stresses and give you good advise you are a lucky person. Having a confidant in your life helps master issues.

Dr. Gary Carlson

What helps me manage stress is going to the park doing my lunch and take a walk. On my time of I try to go to the gym which helps me relax.

Asmir,
Stepping back with relaxation and exercise are all good stress release techniques. The balance in our life from health, recreation, physical activity, mental activity and spiritual rejuvenation are all good habits to balance your life.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I have handled workplace stress by making sure I take a walk before I start my day with a co-worker. We talk about anything, but work and enjoy our daily cup of coffee together.

Cara,
You are accomplishing your stress relief by communicating with someone you trust and stepping back by walking. A balance in your life keeps things in the proper perspective.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I have utilized the "stop, breathe, reflect, and choose" process a lot in my interactions with colleagues at work. In one meeting, a statement was made by a staff member about my department during an all campus meeting. I took it personally to a point of leaving the meeting early. After I got to my office, I reflected upon the statement and chose to confront the colleague about the statement only to discover after his explanation that he actually was talking about something entirely different. I had to stop, I took a breadth, reflected upon the statement and chose to seek clarification which I got.

Dr. Jeff,
If we can control our behavior and then understand others behavior we have a chance of combating stress. Your final step was the best to use. We can control only what we can and the rest we must try to understand.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I use mindfulness techniques and during a break I would meditate. This resets the autonomic responses to a stressful workplace.

I also find that talking through a crisis with coworkers can at times facilitate a more objective evaluation of the crisis. I try to take a step back and hear other perspectives, and often times a team approach generates more options for approaching a problem.

June,

Your techniques are excellent. It is a good habit to find yourself in when you can work through decisions without emotion and rely on trusted co-workers. Meditation is an age old technique that has been used for centuries. I am sure you have experienced great resolve in using these approaches.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment