Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I always start my day at work with some kinda of green tea and throughout the day. It help me to feel relax
Herbal Teas - the most popular drinks in this country (coffee, teas, colas) tend to be heavily caffeine laden and are more likely to put you in a state of anxiety instead of calm. By contrast, drinking herbal teas is one of the few activities for stress relief that can impart a calming, relaxing mood to your body, relieving your stress significantly. Good examples of stress reliving teas are Lavender tea, Chamomile tea, and Passion flower tea.

Daniel,
All I can say Daniel is I just got up and went to make myself a cup of tea! You obviously sensitized by taste buds.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I like to offer any assistance to help others complete any tasks, and to listen when they need to vent and offer my opinion as well as suggesting alternative ways to handle a stressful situation.

The best to handle work place stress to me is venting. You never know who is having the same problems. They might have some insight.

I know that venting is one of the techniques for dealing with stress. But could this led to a negative evaluation about you as an employee? This comes under the heading of employee attitude (employee does what he/she is told to do). Employers see employees as numbers on a spreadsheet, dollars on an expense report that if they could do with one less employee, then my bonus would be more. Beside we can always find a replacement or do without. The employer just wants the same quality, productive, and less pay for increased risk and responsibility. So again does venting do anything in the today’s work place? I ask the question we all must work to support our families, however, the line or balance is hard without being unemployed, or fired for not being the trained drone, mule, or employee that they would like to have because you vented. Oh, by the way are unions a form of venting if something is not right? I ask these questions because I have vented and it has been expensive.

Jolene,
Being a good listener is very important. Our ability to verify what you have heard before you communicate back is key to getting it right.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Simone,
Venting may be a harsh word for really just sharing your thoughts and feelings in a professional manner. People tend to want to help and lend a hand and if we communicate appropriately we get back what we want.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Robert,
Venting tends to be a harsh word. When we can communicate with our fellow colleagues in a professional manner we usually get what we need. People tend to want to help when we can explain ourselves in a way they understand.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I exercise to deal with stress normally, but when that's impossible due to the stress/overtime at work, I take a drive to a peaceful location (my office is near water), and just relax by myself. If its a crummy day outside, I retreat to my car and close my eyes.

I am a program director and instructor of massage therapy. One of the overarching lessons I continue to convey to my students relates to managing stress, and more importantly how they will apply their own 'stress-busting' techniques when they enter their career field. Oftentimes, a Massage Therapist must learn to provide relaxation for multiple clients each day, with as little as 15 minutes between sessions. It is imperative and essential for my students to build coping skills to deal with not only their own day-to-day stressors, but also their client's stress. Just like negative co-workers will only enhance workplace stress, there are some clients that will also make the workplace seem more stressful...IF they allow it to affect them. Quite the conundrum, I know!!! Now I see how the oscillation between teaching practitioners to instill relaxation, and also showing them how to protect themselves from taking on the stress of their clients could cause more stress for me. I want to lead by example, and just thinking about doing this effectively is already causing a bit of anxiety. "Stop!, stop!, stop!"

When I feel stressed at work I try to walk away from what is making me feel stressed. I take a walk and a short break. When I return to the work I try to think of a new approach to tackling the work so that I do not feel too stressed. If I see others around me are stressed from their work I remind them to take a minute to stop what they are doing and go for a walk in hopes it will help them handle the stress they are feeling.

@gcarlson :  I get up walk around and talk to staff and student I always find that the student have more stress than I do and some how it makes my stress less

Sign In to comment