Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

More frequent, shorter breaks help a lot as well as delegating more responsibilities, rather than taking them all on myself.

RON,
When it is time to step back a minute we find ourselves better prepared to tackle the task at hand. When we surround ourselves with a diverse staff that can pick up those things that can be delegated they will come through because of your willingness to share ownership.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I disconnected my work emails from my personal cell phone so I could decompress every night and enjoy my family.

Kimberly ,
I can remember when my wife used to be frustrated with my phone going off 24/7. I was covering all the time zones in the U.S. with employees. I found other methods of communication as a way to not require myself to putting out fires. You can create crisis communication through a code you may create yourself for your people.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I tried to stopped working from home but the work are very intensive. I know that I need more coworker but I still wating.

I always try to see the positive side of any difficult situation. I will listen to others discuss difficulties they encounter and encourage them to focus on the positive.

Joanne,

Positive thinking is a good characteristic. There great books written on the Positive IQ.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Neida,
Working at home may be a condition that is necessary at times. When it becomes excessive then it may be a concern.

Dr. Gary Carlson

As a health psychologist, I try to remind myself to stop, take a step back, and try to breathe. Sometimes it can be stressful, especially when the work seems to pile up or it is the end of the semester. It is important to give yourself a break here and there, even if it is just to get up and walk around for a little bit. Personally, I try to keep everything in my office as neat as possible. I tend to feel more stressed when my office is a mess. Cleaning has a therapeutic effect on me.

Christine,
We all seem to have our stress relievers.. When we can use them to step back and regain our composure helps. Cleaning as a stress reliever I have heard before from other people. It is a way to recollect our your thoughts.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Dr. Carlson,

A positive attitude goes a long way. Reminding oneself to do the best work possible is important. Providing attribute to all of the work done thus far at work is also important.

I would use the method above for both my colleagues and myself.

Best Regards,

Andrea Millazzo Boban

Andrea,
Thank you for your response. You are very correct on your observation. I hope you have had a great Thanksgiving.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I manage stress by working out daily, I eat well and take care of myself. I also don't let drama and inter-office issues bog me down and avert my energy from doing my job.

Amanda,
A well balanced life keeps stress in hand. Exercise, healthy eating habits, recreation, mental activity and spiritual rejuvenation helps.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Taking a step back and think logically helps evaluate before making a harsh decision.

Step away from the situation, re-evaluate, do some deep breathing, and then come up with a plan of action.

Lisa,
I have always found it beneficial to take a second look. Patience and contemplation of the outcomes will make for a better decision.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Steven,
When you can make an effort to contemplate the outcomes of your decision you will make a better decision.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I work in a high stress environemnt so dealing with it can be difficult. I make sure that I get enough sleep, do yoga every week and not worry about things that I cannot change.

Tiana,
Stress relief comes in a well balanced life style. You have have completed some of the techniques. We all need to lead a healthy life style with exercise, good eating habits, recreation, mental activities and spiritual rejuvenation.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment