Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Theresa,
When a teacher can move forward with relationships in the classroom by being available creates a greater learning environment. I have often told great teachers are tired at night just by the number of steps they take in the classroom each day.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Debra,
Good for you it is great to take a second look at a situation. Composed and non emotional decision is better for all concerned. This is when we often say we are going to sleep on it. We even do this on our daily life with buying large ticket items. (Autos, Homes, Education etc.)

Dr. Gary Carlson

Theresa,
Team approaches give each of us more confidence in our decisions and creates ownership to the final decision. Good for you.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Brenda,
All of your practices are great. We need the varying activity to face any kind of challenge or direction that is needed. Sometimes by following your practice we have moments of new discovery which could enhance your decision making.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Alicia ,
It is great you recognize the need to listen to your body. It is important to have a balanced life with exercise, mental relaxation, good health habits and spiritual rejuvenation.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Tonya,
I have learned over my 43 years of working in education I know that we need to work with some humor injected into the daily life. Every challenge comes and goes some are great outcomes and others were not but honestly life goes on with another challenge. This is what makes life exciting.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Warren,
Good for you in having these practice. Sometimes we learn from a situation that helps us improve with other challenges.

Dr. Gary Carlson

jon,
It is always beneficial to express yourself. For your health and mental composure we need to be able to do this. We also need to do this without high emotion and trust in ourselves to communicate in a level calm process to better understand the situation without emotion.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Kathy,
Remaining positive is the secret. When we can be observed and seen as constantly positive with your staff and even negative people will change or escape because no one is going along with the negative attitude.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Gwo-Fang,
Your techniques are excellent. It is good to have a balance in your life. Using exercise, mental relaxation, good health activity and spiritual rejuvenation will help us in our everyday challenges.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Ryan,
All of us have ways of circumventing stress. We just need to practice what works best for us. We need to follow our common sense to do what is right for us to contend with the day to day challenges.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Connie,
When your people trust you enough to put it on the table you have the opportunity to deal with issues in a calm and professional manner.

Dr. Gary Carlson

rebecca,
Without making light of a situation humor is a good technique if we can keep the importance of the situation at hand. The humor can help motivate the action needed to solve issues.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I've always been somebody who likes to handle things on my own, so one of the biggest ways I'm learning to deal with workplace stress is to ask for help. I'm learning that it isn't a weakness to admit when you can't do everything.

Amber,
There is great value in establishing a community in your work place. There is comfort using the brain trust that exists around you. Keep in mind your opinion has value and it is good to discuss your ideas and challenges with your team.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I try to organize my work into three piles. What I absolutely have to do, what I need to do eventually, and what I would like to do. It works for me. Most of the time, I only get to the what I absolutely have to do and what I need to do eventually, but that is ok because that is what is important.

Cynthia,
Organization is always important for stress relief. Some piles have to be changed because of the level of importance on your items may change. With organization this will not be hard to transfer objectives to different piles according to necessity to address most important items first.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I have a friend who happens to be a psychiatric nurse. She teaches in an Associates Degree nursing program in town; so, for the most part, she knows the challenges that I face in my job as an educator. She is great to bounce off ideas and to allow me to vent. Another person to whom I go for advice is a colleague working for the same company that I do. I respect him highly and use him to help me deal with students, our administration, etc. I rarely talk to my husband about work place stressors, but he has a good head on his shoulders and can give good advice. Every now and then, I will go outside and let out a few primal screams. That really feels good!

Dealing with workplace stress is difficult but what has helped me tremendously is exercising and going out side atleast once a day for about 5 minutes to get a breath of fresh air.

Denise,
Picking your confident people to confide in is important. When you can trust them to keep your personal conversations private with you and give advice is essential.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment