Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sharon,

This is true. We want to use this data to determine learning and to determine changes in the course that helps learning. Using the information well is so important.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Summative assessments are typically the ones used to assign grades, so it is important that the summative assessment adequately measures the level of knowledge that was expected to be achieved. It is also important that the level of measurement is consistent with the expectations for student learning.

Kurt

Kurt,

Great statement. You must align the measurement with expectations. It is so important to realize that.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It is important to consider what skills and knowledge the students have as well as what options there are in altering/updating the course to fit the students' specific needs.

Heather,

True, it is a delicate balance. You want to alter the course to improve student learning but you need to be true to the objectives of the course.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

When designing a means of Summative assessment, in this case let us assume a final project, that assessment should do two things:

1) Display through student demonstration a thorough understanding of required material. (Ie: Performing listed tasks, or meeting given criteria)

2) That demonstration should rely on a variety of evaluation techniques. (ie: carrying out a specific process, or answering questions in several different ways such as multiple-choice, short answer, or if possible, oral extemporaneous)

The requirements of a given program will dictate which methods are possible or optimal.

I feel the most important thing to consider is does the instructor have a full understanding of the objectives and how best they should be demonstrated? The second thing is, are real world situations and the reality of the job when the students are working worked into those objectives and therefore the assessment?

If these two things are considered and proven, then I believe the assessment is as it should be.

Eric ,

You are "spot" on. It must carry out the assessment of the objectives and give students ample opportunities to demonstrate their work. Students also need to know the purpose of the assessment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Alice,

You make such a great point. Yes, instructors need to know how assessments fit in the measuring of objectives. Good assessment allows students to demonstrate their knowledge/skills in real world situation, if that is part of the objectives.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

To assess or conclude students’ learning relative to outcome/objectives; knowledge and/or skills at the end of the course.

Marie

Hello Tomi,

I also agree that looking from the instructor’s point of view is important. I often ask this question in faculty meetings “if the majority of students fail a quiz; is this a reflection of the instructor or the student?” I was surprise to see instructors thought it was the students fault for not studying.

Marie

MARIE,

What are some of the challenges with teaching online and assessments?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

MARIE,

I find that interesting also. I make it a point to review test questions to see who missed them. If the majority of the class misses a question, then I have to review my teaching to see if it is my fault in not covering the content appropriately. I also check to see if the question was presented well. It is our responsibility to review assessment and to make changes in the content delivery or assessment as appropriate.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Nicole,

Do you have any suggestions on how the teacher can better connect the objective with the student learning?

First, insure that the assessment device covers what was learned by the student, over a period time, in the order that the material was presented.

Secondly, the time intervals between summative assessments are crucial. As stated in the module, "good summative evaluations should span a range of knowledge areas and/or skills - low to high." The instructor must insure that the summative assessment occurs at the end of a project unit or course for proper assessment of a students skills or knowledge

Jonida,

I know some professors create an interactive syllabus. When you "click" on an objective, it takes you to the assignments that assess that objective. You can connect them within your LMS or create a web page.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

james,

Great points! Yes, there has to be time between the learning and the assessment. It is also important students have a comfort level not only with the subject matter but with the technology.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think the most important things would be how well did the student understand the course work and how can they apply it to real-life. If the student really understands the lecture, they will be able to provide some example where the information of the course could be applied in real-life.

When conducting summative assessments, you must consider the importance of the objective and the developmental level of the learner. Depending on how important the objective is in the course should determine how you should assess the objective. Understanding the learners ability and goals will aid you in developing a summative assessment that is challenging and relevant.

Antonio,

That is true, and your summative assesses should be the gauge that. If your outcomes say they need to be able to apply to real life that is how that material should be assessed.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment