Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Mandy,

Expectations and objectives must be the driver for learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I believe the two most important aspects of conducting a summative assessment are:
• Is the student memorizating the material for the test or did they truly grasp the material. Can the student make the connection between what they have learned and apply it to real world circumstances.
• If the student is not grasping the material, how can I assist them in being able to understand and apply the material.

Some students are just great test takers. If the student aced an assessment, great; if they are not, it will tell me the areas within the subject matter the student is lacking understanding. I will be able to address the best course of action with the student to bring up their level of understanding.

Charlene,

Another thoughtful answer! It is not an easy task either f2f or online.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think the two most important considerations for summative assessments are:
- the curricular goals
-the results of the formative assessments

These two items allow you to focus on the overall goals and the expected student outcomes.

First, it should focus on the most essential part of the course, not too much into the details. Or it should be emphasized on something you want the students remember and understand even years later.

Second, it should be more related to real world experiences. In other words, it should help students master the problem-solving skills of real world problems.

I think the two most important things to consider are:

1) Did the students fully grasp the subject matter? If not , why not?

2) Can the students apply what they've learned in the real world? If not, how can they do so?

Esther,

Very true. They must related.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Juliet,

Well said. They need to learn and do!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

With regard to summative assessments, it is important to make sure that the assessment used is the appropriate tool to clearly identify and measure each student's learning as it related to the learning objectives. It is also important that the assessment demonstrate the student's ability to apply their knowledge in a real world context.

Cheryl,
Wow! What a great answer. You are so on target regarding matching it to the objectives and making it sure that is measures what you want it to measure.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Summative assessments are a terrific tool to evaluate the student's understanding of the material covered and their ability to apply the information to the real-world, and allow the instructor to reflect on teaching methods that could be modified in subsequent course to aid in the student's take-away from the course.

Stacy,

You "get" the purpose of this assessment! What methods do you use?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think this is especially true when we spot patterns within the results. Its a great way to gauge how time is spent and what methods to best utilize the next time around!

Sadly, the lazy button is often pushed BEFORE the assessment takes place.

Christopher,

Yes, do we really analyze the purpose of our assessments. Good insight!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Christopher,

Yes, and we have to guard against using technology for assessment delivery just because it makes it easier on the educator; it may not be a good fit for the expectations of the students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

- Applying: the ability to employ strategies, theories, principles and policies in new situations
- Understanding: Comprehending given information

These two can be transferable learning skills that can enrich the overall learning process even beyond a course.

Both the level of work and the improvement factor for individual students are equally important in summative assessments in my chosen field.

My background and degrees are in Theatre Arts. I'm always aware that there has to be an element of end "product," but creative endeavors also have to be viewed with an eye toward where the student was and where the student is. In my acting and directing clases, all students begin and end at different levels. I describe the grading to students in terms of the alphabet, with "A" being a real beginner and "Z" being the ultimate performer. (I have never known a "Z.") I tell the students that if I can bring them along even 3 or 4 levels (or letters), that they are progressing nicely. One may start at "L" and move to "O." Another may be at "B" and move to "G." Of course, this requires formative assessment on a constant basis. At the end of a term, I have to reach a summative assessment of their improving (or not) skills. Because one student is a "G" and another is an "O", I have to consider improvement in a summative assessment. To give the "G" student a lesser grade because he isn't at the level of "O" would be damaging to the creative skills in process. To me, they are equal in their improvement. I then use +/- to allow for end product. Of course, there are always students who start and end at the same spot, but they are my problem students, not necessarily inept.

I try to bring the same sensibility to my writing classes on line. There are times when grades have to be punitive; that can't be escaped. If the student doesn't do the work, he receives a grade that reflects that. However, in almost any field, there has to be encouragement for students who are really trying. In my online English classes, there are a minimum of 22 grades in 11 weeks, based on homework, tests, quizzes, papers, and threaded discussions. In a more advanced class, there are 32 grades in 11 weeks. I give constant feedback every day in all areas. I see the improvement level (or not) weekly, and I still do my formative and summative assessments as I always have. Writing is a creative field.

Dania,

How do you assess them?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Assessments occur (depending on the week) based on discussion board posts and participation, individual project (essay based) assignments and quizzes.

Sign In to comment