Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Good point! I didn't even think about benchmarking. I often look for the normal bell shaped curvel; however, if that curve is not normal, I often question myself. I am always thinking of ways to improve a classroom, present materials and challenge my students. Without looking at classroom outcome, I really have no way of determining my own effectiveness.

Great answer It seems that "lazy button" is next to the "easy button" They have to be ready for the challenge!

It is important that the assessments cover all of the expected knowledge the student should have up to that point. It is also important that assessments are done before moving on to something different otherwise a student may not be ready for a final evaluation if the material is not revisited later.

yes, the reason we use summative assessments is to gauge student retention of knowledge of skills. I don't think we do enough of that do you?

I would say that we are constantly assessing. The degree course I teach has 20 units and each unit has anywhere from 4 to 10 lessons at the end of each lesson there are written quizzes for the student to take which assess the required knowledge they are expected to gain from the lesson. Once the quizzes are completed we go over each item in detail. Each day I start off with a review of previous lessons through oral questions to random students.Some of the lessons also have a study guide which they fill out from information they were required to read. Based on the assessments the students kind of get an idea of where they stand and what they need to study for the Unit final exams.

I believe the two most important things to consider when conducting summative assessments are 1. Are the objectives being met and if so then, every couple of chapters one should test because too many chapters may be too much information to retain; therefore, the student may feel overwhelmed, and 2. does the assessment meet the level of class' understanding.

The two most important things to consider when conducting summative assessments is how well the student is able to demonstration his or her comprehension of the objectives and how much that knowledge has grown since the student started the program. The use of diagnostic and formative assessments will help the instructor to determine the second point. Of course, the instructor has the responsibility of designing a summative assessment tool that is capable of reliably measuring the two points mentioned above.

In regard to summative assessments it is very important to ensure that the assessment encompasses all of the material that is being measured. If this is not accomplished then the entire assessment is flawed and should not even be administered. It is also very important to show that students have mastered the material that is being presented and should enable the instructor to easily identify the growth of the student.

Have clear, concise student learning objectives that are understood by the student and to have created authentic learning experiences for students empowered to experience and learn the necessary learning objectives.

The two most important things to consider when conducting a summative assessment is to be sure that it covers all objectives of the lesson. As an instructor I have to remember that summative assessments should occur at the end of the section therefore should be less frequent.

When conducting summative assessments, I believe it is important to consider if the assessment is adequately assessing the learning objectives of that (unit). The assessment should provide information as to how well the students are able to apply what they have learned, not just repeat it back verbatim.

Additionally, the summative assessment should provide me with the information I need to effectively evaluate the course (and my teaching methods). Are the course learning objectives being effectively understood? Do I need to spend additional time on the more challenging concepts and demonstrate additional real world application? Do I need to tweak my instructional methods or style to ensure student learning?

The summative assessment is an excellent tool for ensuring the course learning objectives are being achieved.

When conductive a summative assessment, I believe the two most important things to consider are 1. that the student understand the core content of the subject matter 2. that he/she be able to apply and critically think through patient care scenarios.

Important summative assessments should include evaluation of course objectives and the ability of measuring the critcal thinking capabilities of the students.

when conducting summative assessments the two things more important to consider should be the use of it as feedback that help us to evaluate how good the students have learned the material and also a feedback for us to evaluate the effectiveness of our method of teaching

The first thing I think is to grade projects fairly and following a rubric.
And the second, to provide the student with as much detail as possible to provide feedback and also to let students know where they lost points in order to avoid grade appeals.

When conducting summative assessments, I need to consider what the students have learned, and how I can improve my teaching so that students will have a better understanding of the objectives.

What they know and what they dont know.

Charlotte,

Right on! We want that feedback as instructor so we can improve. I look at the summative information each semester and make a change some place. Thanks!

Cassie,

Which are both important. This information helps us tweak the course and teach things in different ways to improve learning. Thanks!

I believe the two most important things to consider when conducting summative assessments would be what where the objectives at the beginning of each chapter or material, and was the material properly learned and retained. If not then as a instructor, I would need to go back and take a look at my teaching tools to improve on my teaching methods to help my students retain the information needed.

Sign In to comment