Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Katrina,

I don't believe in study guides, but I do believe students need to know expectations which should be linked to assessment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Katrina,

You are right. We expect our students to change and work toward improvement and we don't always practice what we preach.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Terry,

True, they also must be reliable in that they measure consistently what they are suppose to measure.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tami,

I too like the backward design. In fact, you should be able go from assessment and "connect the dots" all the way through activities to learning goals and back down. Everything should link.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Know your objectives... This is very important.

Bruce,

Yes, how do make sure they complement your assessments.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hello Kelly and everyone,

Summative assessments need to cover all levels of learning from creating at the top level to remembering at the bottom level. Moreover, the connection between what is being assessed in the classroom and what knowledge and skills are applicable to the real world is important to be considered.

Eman,

You need to be careful that your assessment assesses your outcomes. If you outcomes cover all levels of learning then your assessment should assess them at those level. The assessment should match the outcomes and vice versa.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Eman,

You need to be careful that your assessment assesses your outcomes. If you outcomes cover all levels of learning then your assessment should assess them at those level. The assessment should match the outcomes and vice versa.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In providing the summative assessments of the students, I believe that it is most important that I understand what the expectations/objectives were for the student. Then when I reviewing the students work, I reflect on whether I was able to provide the necessary guidance to the student so that they could learn the material. The second thing to consider is whether or not the student has responded to the material in a way in which you are sure that they understand it and can apply it in their future career.

Twyla Arnold

Did the instructor clearly express to the student the objective of the lesson/project? Was the path to success clearly laid out? The second, is whether the skills/knowledge being assessed is applicable to a "real world" situation(s). That is especially true at my school students are prepared for an entry-level type position that may require a number of different skill-sets.

Twyla ,

You make such an important point! How does the student respond to the material and the feedback. I have actually started working with students on using feedback to improve learning. They understand grades, they don't always know what to do with the feedback.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Robert,

You are so right. You do want to make sure that your objectives are measured appropriately by your assessments. Your assessments should "sum up" your students' learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think the first is to be sure sufficient formative assessments have taken place so that the instructor, and student, can feel comfortable that learning is actually occurring! A lack of such formative assessments can place to great a burden on the last exam, quiz, project or what-have-you.

The second most important aspect is to make sure the assessment covers material/information in and equal amount to the time spent on that material. If it's an objective assessment then, I think, it's easier to assure that happens, but if it's more subjective, care must be taken not to ask for more than the student can be expected to deliver.

Robert,

Great point! It is so true that formative assessments can take the burden from the summative assessment. We really don't think about that. You make another great point, time spent on material translates to students what is important. Assessment should reflect that. Great post with important considerations.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As I read through these great posts, I really like this one! I could not have said this better myself, especially on the "why" part of this. Students always want to know "why" points are being deducted and it has to be clear, not ambiguous at all. I also think the instructor should open up the opportunity for a student to personally inquire if the "whys" have not sufficiently been answered in written form of a rubric or otherwise.

When conducting summative assessments it is important that both the instructor and the student understand the objective so the desired outcome is achieved. Next the instructor needs to consider how this assessment applies to real-world situations.

Gary,

I agree with you! If a student asks why, the dialog is opened and the opportunity to engage with the student is there.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Steve,

I agree with you, and you make a great point. The student and the instructor should be "on the same page" regarding assessment. We don't always think about that.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The first important consideration is thinking about the original goals and objectives and were they met. The second thing to consider is evaluation and potential changes that can or should be done to improve the overall outcome.
Sharon

Sign In to comment