Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Michael,

Thank you for a great answer! Thank you for your details. It is interesting how you deal with "creativity" You have an interesting perspective. . . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dania,

Do you use any group work?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I don't use group work in my courses. I only use quizzes, discussion boards, and individual projects.

Dania,

OK, how do you grade discussion boards?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I believe the two most important things to consider when conducting summative assessments are:

1) Limit the amount of information being assessed to manageable chunks so that students can focus on truly learning the material as opposed to "cramming" enough to simply pass with peripheral details being memorized.

2) Offer a variety of assessment types throughout a course to allow for different learning styles to show mastery of subject matter, as opposed to those who only excel in a test environment, for instance.

Summative assessments are crucial to evaluating a student’s mastery of material, but the design of the assessment experience can play a huge role in the effectiveness of the assessment process.

Kendra,

I LOVE your answer! What you describe is a balance of learning and delivery.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

2 important things when using summative assement:

1. Did the student learn necessary information anc can they demonstrate thes skills learned

2. Can these learned skills be tranferred to real life situations?

Gwendolyn,
Good Points. I like the transferability statement!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Thanks Gwendolyn. i think these two items are also important when using summative assessments:

(1) Did the material measure items intended;

(2) Not only can the skills be transferred to real-world situations, but can the student intelligently explain the concept or situation to a peer.

The two most important things I believe is important when conducting summative assessments is to determine how much the student know and how much they do not know. A solution to the assessment is to ensure students are learning at all levels according to the lesson, instructors should design their summative assessments at the levels of Bloom's Taxonomy.

The two most things to consider when conducting summative assessments are:

1. Overall learner outcomes that represent the competency that the student should achieve after the learning has occurred

2. Actual construction of the assessment. It is important to make sure that the test questions are arranged and aligned with the objectives taught.

Elton,

I really like the idea of having students explain the concept or situation to a peer. I think that would be perfect for discussion leading.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dell,

You make a great point, it may be just as important to determine what students don't know.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Beverly,

Yes, you are right. Construction of an assessment should align with objectives of the course. Assessments don't need to be created "in a bubble".

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The two most important items to remember are the course objectives and level (Bloom) at which you want your students to have mastered these objectives.

Jennifer ,

True, but you need to spend time on determining the best way to assess that objective that relates to the blooms level.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Since the operative word is "conducting", the two most important variables are reliability and validity of the assessment instruments. Without conducting reliability and validity testing, then outcome of any assessment instrument would be suspect. Consequently, the two questions one must answer when conducting summative assessments are: 1) are the questions reliable, per se, are they consistent over time; and, are they valid, per se, are they testing what one really intends to measure [based upon the learning objective].

I believe the two most important things to consider when conducting summative assessments are:

1. What the student wants to know
2. What the student needs to know

The student wants to know that their instructor has actually paid attention to what they've submitted. It is important to personalize the feedback offered with summative assessments to the student in order to provide that individualized attention.

The student needs to know what they have done well and can do to improve in relation to course objectives and posted rubrics. Providing examples in both instances is imperative to improving student learning.

Hi All
The first most important point: The learning objectives must compatible withv th level of the course
The second most important point: The student should demonstrate he/she can apply the learning objectives of the course

When conducting a summative assessment, I think the two most important items for consideration is 1) What does the student already know- finding out the students prior knowledge through like kind methods used in the module two lecture. 2) Based on feedback what and how do I as the instructor need to change or improve to refine my communication and education in order that highest successful learning may take place. By incorporating diagnostic and formative assessments into the teaching style/methods the summative assessment will boost a higher demonstration of learning because the groundwork has been laid for proper educational methods.

Sign In to comment