Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Andragogy in Online Learning | Origin: EL140

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Andragogy in Online Learning

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I've learned that adult learners are more likely to learn when they have the freedom to pursue things that are relevant to them and their current situations. They tend to be completion oriented and in order to create a meaningful learning experience you need to create some sort of dialogue between them, their peers, and yourself. 

This course has confirmed some of the practices that I've been implementing with teachers. I learned more about areas that I need to improve upon. The four Rs of andragogy (relationships, responsive facilitation, reality-based learning and reflective practices) are each evident in my work with teachers, however I can grow in the area of reflective practices. I want to implement more dialogue between participants next year and really enable them to "think about what they think" more often during our PLC time.  

I believe that this course has shown me that many of my practices in my classrom are headed in the right direction.  I see areas that need improvement and a course like this open the thought process to push myself towards that improvement.   Each cohort of students brings new challenges and with a recent and sudden change to the online envorioment, the hurdles have increased drastically.  I beleive I have adjusted well to this point but within any skill, there is always room for improvement. 

I believe this course reinforces the principles of good classroom practices.  At the high school level, we are working with young adults beginning with freshmen 9th grade year to seniors in advanced level courses.  Guiding students to become self directed learners and creating an open discussion free of judgment is necessary to produce indepedent thinkers with a valuable skillset.  All classrooms regardles of age group should encourage respectful relationships, responsive facilitation, reality based learning, and reflection both for the instructor and the student.  

Seth Soronnadi

I learned that "........ adults accumulate a growing reservoir of experience and that becomes an increasingly rich resource for learning. Now what this means is, as we go through our life, we have lots and lots of experiences, some that we get in the moment, others of which we ponder for years, and most of which are acutely experienced in a way that causes a different form of learning.""

Tiffanie Nobles:

I have learned that students have the same desire to learn the same way that do. They want to have voice in their learning and they need to be taught how to use that voice. Studetns need and desire descriptive feedback in the online class. I feel that if we implament the princiaplas in this unit then we will not only help our students in our classroom, but in the "real" world as well.

I learned that adult learners are more out to learn if they feel they have control or say in the process.

Constructive descriptive feedback is something I need to practice. Responding to expressed needs in an appropriate way is another area that I need to think about.

I learned that adult learners need to able able to see the application of information shared/learned. I also enjoyed learning about the principles of responsive facilitation. I need to consider responding to expressed needs and dialogue learning and shared power. 

Currently, I try give clear descriptive feedback but I think circling back to ensure their understanding of the feedback could be helpful. I

I would like to apply this courses information by modifying a few projects/assignments to allow some sort of reflection component. 

I'm curious, how is everyone applying some of these principles in their online course to improve engagement? 

I learned that we should assist adult learners in taking responsibiliy for learning objectives.   I will spend time each week in my zoom presentation reviewing these objectives with the class and helping them to focus on whether or not they are being met.

This course confirmed Knowles Theory of Adult learning by providing the four principles of Androgogy followed by the 4 Rs; 1) Respectful relationships; 2) Responsive facilitation; 3) Reality-based learning; 4) Reflection.  Each of these key concepts will be a continuous reveiw of my courses and ways to improve adult learning in their design and delivery.

This course expanded my knowledge on proper feedback to students. The course also showed me that I am pushing my classes in the right direction and providing a safe stable environement for all.

The adult learner comes to college with a wealth of experiences and knowledge that is not typically found in the traditional undergraduate student.  They expect to be active participants in the learning process, want to learn pragmatic skills that will help them reach their goals, and they have a desire to learn.  Brining out those experiences and encouraging active and robust discussion between the learner and the instructor, and between learners, is a key concept to increase engagement and reinforce the course concepts and objectives. One challenge with the adult learner is they come with a life philosophy and in many cases firm opinions and thoughts about a variety of topics.  As Tasia Ellis said, we need to challenge them to think about why they think what they do.   For example, moving people on the ethics scale from personal interest to a more post-conventional way of examining moral dilemmas forces people into a position to consider someone else’s perspective.  I think by encouraging dialog and bringing in reality-based learning activities adult students can be challenged to grow and do so in a manner that is inclusive.

We can work on balancing reflection and action.  We could produce more assignments that allow for self-reflection.  More assignments could have incorporate application of ideas.

I have learned that students have to take responsibility for their own learning and I have to be a good facilitator in order for them to accomplish that task.

I try to create a classroom environment where adult students must analyze multiple factors, synthesize many factors and create a product.  Then have them defend their (typically group) product in discussion with the class.

A few Techniques to Use and Adapt Active Learning Online.

1. Assigned Discussion Leader: Ask a student to present on a topic or review material for the group and then lead the discussion for the group. This technique works best when every student in the group is given an assignment to be the “expert” on.

2. Brainstorming: Introduce a topic or problem and then ask for student input. Give students a minute to write down their ideas, and then record them on the board. For example, “What are possible safety (environmental, quality control) problems we might encounter with the process unit we just designed?” could be a brainstorm topic.

3. Case Studies: Use real-life stories that describe what happened to a community, family, school, industry or individual to prompt students to integrate their classroom knowledge with their knowledge of realworld situations, actions, and consequences.

To learn more go to: http://www.dso.iastate.edu/asc/tutoring/currenttutor http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/lockers/users/f/felder/public/Papers/Prince_AL.pdf http://www.crlt.umich.edu/sites/default/files/resource_files/Active%20Learning%20Continuum.pdf https://chroniclevitae.com/news/893-why-students-resist-active-learning

Knowles Theory of Adult learning of the four principles of Androgogy the 4 Rs 1) Respectful relationships 2) Responsive facilitation 3) Reality-based learning 4) Reflection.  This course is an excellent reminder of my why when making a positive impact for adult learners.

I have learned that it is important to establish relationships between the facilitator and the adult learner just like you do with younger students. The positivie relationships will increase the adult learner's ability to feel comfortable in the class. Therefore, this can help that learner share more of their ideas and participate more in the class.

Sign In to comment