Non-Technical Skills | Origin: EL108
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Preparing Students to Become Good Online Learners --> Non-Technical Skills
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
Through this training, I gained a greater understanding of the importance of helping students develop traditional pen-and-paper skills in addition to what is done in the on-line setting. In today's technology-driven learning environment, fostering these foundational skills can be challenging as students often rely heavily on electronic devices for communication and learning. I also learned about the value of developing a Community of Practice, where students can engage with peers, share experiences, and learn collaboratively.
To prepare students to become good online learners, you should communicate often, create feedback and guide students with their responses. Thinking about creative ways to respond and talking back and forth as much as possible will help students with assignments, critical thinking skills, and time management.
Adult learners tend to learn better when they can readily apply their previous knowledge, skills, and experience. Communication is important when teaching online. This will help with any misunderstanding or questions.
Communication, both to and from the students, is required for a successful online course.
Providing clear and concise communication is essential to student success as it help students understand expectations and stay engaged in thier learning. When communication is timely, supportive and easy to understand, students feel more confident and empowered to achieve thier goals.
Communication is a priority in an online course
By preparing the students to be great online learners. Make sure expectations are understood.
I learned about the importance of clearly and frequently communicating with students helps them to feel more engaged with the course and the instructor.
I learned that successful online learners need skills like time management, communication, and self-motivation. I plan to help students build these skills by setting clear expectations and encouraging good study habits.
Students who do online work need to have essential skills in reading and writing more so than students who always have classes face-to-face. They need to have the skill sets to work independently. And, if not, the teacher needs to be aware of this so they can build structure into the courses to help make the students successful in the areas they might fall.
Providing clear and concise communication is essential to a student's success.
I was reminded of the importance of making each student feel included and part of the class. For this effective, on-going communication is needed.
Good communication is an essential tool for online learning. Practicing this skill makes it better and better.
Making sure students realize that you care about their learning outcome.
One of the most valuable lessons I learned from this module is the importance of effective communication in an online course. Since students and instructors do not meet face-to-face regularly, communication must be clear, professional, and appropriate to prevent misunderstandings and help students feel supported. I especially liked the CPA model because it emphasizes being focused, respectful, concise, and timely.
In my own online courses, I strive to communicate principles through Canvas announcements, messages, Zoom sessions, and prompt feedback. I also encourage students to ask questions whenever they need clarification so that small issues do not become larger ones. By maintaining open and consistent communication, I hope to create a positive online learning environment where students feel comfortable, connected, and successful.
Hello -
For non-technical skills, one of the skills that I would like students to develop is the ability to pivot in direction when they read another student's online discussion posting. I often have students that will post agreements such as, "I really like what you posted about universal healthcare", but they don't add more to the discussion. Learning to build, critical think, and offer something new or at least pushing the online conversation forward is critical.
Communication is essential.
As ana instructor, your role is to guide the discussion, encourge participation and help learners connect concepts to real life situations. Examples are expressing ideas clearly through speaking, writing and listening.
What I learned from this module is that as an online instructor, one must be a very good communicator. You need to be able to communicate with your students so that they understand what you are saying and what you are expecting them to do. So one needs to deliver a thorough instruction as to what you are asking them to do.