Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Richard,

True, it is really dependent on careers but many want to see a digital presence. Good insight!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Richard,

Great point! Some students find this type of assessment as "difficult" as they come from a culture of testing assessment. It is up to you as the instructor to help advise those students.
Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Esther,

You have really established the framework of a good assessment plan for the use of media sites. Thank you for sharing.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I would use the rubick because it allows me to see if they hit every point that was required. But I guess it would depend on the type of assignment. Also, the rubick is what I'm more familiar with.

Timothy,

I agree with you, a rubric fits perfectly. You must provide a framework of expectations for the assignment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think that it is definitely important to use a rubric in this situation. Students can earn points on a scale based on the quality of the material shared, proper tags, ability to locate relevant files, etc. If the student is uploading original material, his or her work can be graded directly from the site. If he or she is using other material from the site, does he or she properly cite all sources?

Erin,

True, it does articulate the expectations of the students. It also keeps you on track in grading.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As I recently leaned in this class: “It depends.” Since assignments and activities vary, there are several different ways an assessment can be performed. A rubric can be used for some assignments or other assessment techniques can be used such as outlined in this course:

1. Answer multiple choice and/or true or false quiz.
2. Write a report on what they have learned or work collaboratively to develop a project based on what they learned.
3. View or listen to the media, answer questions and synthesize the material.
4. Utilize a variety of skills such as listening, cognitive, and critical thinking skills.
5. Utilize digital portfolios where students can develop, store, and share content-based work and be assessed on their creativity, learning outcomes, and level of use of the technology.

Another interesting technique I learned in this class is that digital portfolios can be used to show growth in a student’s learning. This growth can be observed when a student is asked to submit an assignment in the beginning of the course and then asked to submit another assignment at the end of the course.

In addition, Blogs or Wikis can be used to evaluate a student’s writing skill. These media hosting and sharing sites provide the opportunity for students to learn to evaluate their own or each other’s writing. This is also a great avenue for a student to provide constructive criticism to others while becoming sensitive to their own writing.

I would use a mix a peer assessment, mulitiple choice and class projects. Of course, I would evaluate their progress throughout the class session.

The idea of digital portfolios is really an intriguing idea for me teaching Humanities courses. I want to pursue that this year.

Truthfully I teach only math based courses so I have not used the resources mentioned as often as my peers. However, I have found the need to use online resources as supplemental material. Usually this is a result of a student’s lack of understanding of a foundational point that is outside the scope of the current course work. I have referenced students to tutorials on Khan and Go2Learn. I was able to assess their use of the resources easy enough since it was only a foundation for a later model.

Hello,

I would identify which types of social media they are already using and them introduce them to the types the instructor is using. I would then have a rubric relevant to the course content to check against how the student is utilizing social media.

- Doc Wibbeke

Christy,

Isn't it great to have such great options to assess work. You may want to try padlet.com. It is a type of "pinterest" that students can show their work electronically.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Candace ,

How would you grade the class projects? How would you determine the criteria?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Patricia,

I hope you do! Make sure that you have a rubric or checklist so students know how you will assess their work. Also, help them develop a process to evaluate their own work.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

David,

That is a great way to utilize powerful resources. I have seen Khan but not go2learn. Thank you for sharing.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Eileen,
That is a great idea. You have to teach students how to critique the social media.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It is important to keep up with the students' use of media hosting and sharing sites. You might be able to set up access statistics to see which student are accessing the sites. You can also have test/assessments to let them know that they have to go to the sites to complete work.

Denise,

What a great idea! Those are both creative ways to measure the use of media sites.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Rubrics can be a great assessment tool. However, the course objectives and student learner outcomes must still remain the central focus.

Sign In to comment