Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Heather,
You are right. When students have to evaluate their own work and submit it is also a great exercise. Students need to be able to look at their work critically and present to you the instructor their best work.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

This can be done in a variety of ways including, Q&A, chat discussion and providing an exercise for the learners to utilize to assess their individual learning accomplishments.

Richard,

You could also have students to evaluate media sites using a prescribed rubric or checklist. Then have them determine what is important based on what they saw or didn't see.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I would assess students' use of media hosting and sharing sites through the course objective.

Natasha,

How would you do that? Would you have a course objective for media sites?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Digital portfolios sound like a great tool for students to build and compile a body of work, including the use of media hosting and sharing sites. Assessment through a carefully composed rubric makes complete sense. When assessing with rubrics, I add personal comments and explanations for what’s missing so students better understand the rubric and the assessment of their work. This, to me, is a big part of learning.

Amy,

I think you have a plan! I also like students looking at digital portfolios of others to determine quality. It is a great lesson in evaluation and constructive feedback.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hello Dr. Wilkinson,

Assessing students’ work that is posted in media hosting and sharing sites depends on the nature of the course, assignments, and the subject matter.

If they are required to develop material to be posted on hosting and sharing sites, then a digital portfolio seems appropriate – in conjunction with a rubric to evaluate the quality of the media they use; how well they address the parameters of their assignments.

If the purpose of the assignment is to research a particular topic, and discuss it in a blog or wiki, then a rubric that corresponds to the parameters of the assignment seems appropriate.

On the other hand, if students are expected to learn by reading textual materials and viewing videos online, then multiple choice, fill in the blank and short answer essays may be more appropriate.

Best wishes,
Michael Luzius

Michael ,

What a great post! I agree the rubric is the key to objective evaluation. Could you use a blog post as an assessment tool for social media?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

One way I use to asses my students use of media hosting and social media is digital portfolios.

I would assess students' use of media hosting and sharing sites by asking questions about the sites and the information they share. I would ask what is the purpose of the site and what audience they want to attact to participate. I would also ask the students how oftent they participate on the site and what is some the feedback they are receiving from other participants.

Bonnie,

I that is a great way! Do you have criteria established that guide students through the portfolios.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Rosalind,

I like that. You really need to have a purpose for using the media. Who would be the audience. How would success be determined. That is an interesting way to approach this.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The most appropriate and formative assessment for students using this type of technology for learning is an analytical rubric. Designing a rubric to be used as a guide can also be included in a digital portfolio that is used to store all formative feedback in addition to the student's original work. This establishes an audit history for guiding the student's revision of learning skills.

Dr. Glenn ,

I LOVE THIS! As a facilitator, you have to guide students to use their skills to evaluate the blogs, the analytical rubric would be the perfect learning map!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

A combination of rubrics and peer assessments would be ideal. In fact, rubric elements could easily be applied to peer-to-peer assessments.

For example, if a rubric element was “ease of navigation” within the site, a parallel peer based assessment might be “rank the five easiest to use sites” developed by your fellow classmates.

I would assess as I would any other assignment; a rubric that I have developed which is in line with the learning outcomes.

A lot depends on the class subject.

I teach computer graphics and web design, so a good assessment would to evaluate how well students complete a web page, or some sort of image enhancement project (in Photoshop, for example) and upload them to a free server. This type of project would prepare students for something they might do on the job as a designer.

For a Math class, I'm sure the assessment would be much different ...

I would have students respond to my questions on a discussion board, so that I can check their understanding.

I would develop a rubric that is based on the levels of cognition in Bloom's Taxonomy, to assess the students as they progress toward mastery in this area.

Sign In to comment