Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Doni,

Yes, and they have to use critical thinking regarding their choice. Good thoughts!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Arthur,

I agree, the assignment must fit the outcomes of the course. digital portfolios may be one way for students to demonstrate active learning regarding the material presented.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Faryl,

I agree, it allows students to use their own experiences to add to the course discussion. I too find discussion such an important part of a class.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Aisling,

Great point! I too think there is value in letting others including students to look at their portfolios. You may have to provide them with a scoring guide to help them develop their constructive criticism.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Angela,

I agree! I think multiple measures with a variety of tools is a great strategy to ensure learning has been properly assessed.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Virginia,

It can be done, also by learning to provide a critique of the sites that allows students to develop that ability to constructively criticize . This is a much needed skill.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Virginia,

Thank you for this great post. I love the examples you shared. This really helps all of us visualize how a portfolio can be used.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Virginia,

This is such a good practical examples! Thanks all for sharing. It also shows the ability to critically look at their own work and determine its value. Another great skill to have in the workplace!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Stacie,

How would you assess this understanding?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree with Joseph. The digital portfolio adds additional steps, involving the student to participate in his overall learning process. This visual component is good for the online student to view progress, missing components in learning, areas that need improvement and modifications, etc. The discussion board is a good idea, although I think more structure and responsibility should be placed on the student to gain a better "posting outcome." Having students give reply posts daily or every other day will engage students more. At some times the discussion board can be just a "post" board missing the value of true discussion.

krystal,

You are right. I think the depth of the involvement and engagement in the portfolio cannot be ignored. We have to work to keep the post viable not just a post.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

That's tough, since the technology rapidly changes, I would assume that you would need very rigid rubrics that outlines everything that is to be expected. What are your thoughts.

There are a variety of ways in which you can assess student use of media hosting and sharing. If the instructor is providing the media and the content, then the instructor should probably have some key objectives he or she wants the students to master as a result of the media. You could devise test for knowledge quizzes or have them report their findings in a discussion board to assess whether they reviewed the media and were able to apply that information.

If students are being asked to contribute to these sites, then peer-reviews and digital portfolios might be the best choice. I like the idea of peer-review. As an instructor, I generally provide some guidelines for the peer-review, but I find that students learn a great deal from each other. They tend to help each other with posting to these sites, and they give feedback on what went well with the media and what could be improved.

William,

I that you are right. Rubrics are the way to evaluate those sites. Writing evaluation for the message can be the same as in the past.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Rebecca,

I really like your thoughts! First, if this is media is to be assessed, what are the objectives for the assignment, for the course, for the learning and then build the assessment for the media around that. What do you want the student to demonstrate that should drive it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Faryl I agree and digital portfolios remind me of what many students in the past in design oriented majors such as fashion design, etc. had to accumulate all their class projects into a portfolio to present at the end of their program.

Dennis,

You are right, not all the different majors have embraced project based learning ( I think they should) as it seems to be more authentic as well as student centered.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As stated in the lesson content, "it depends." I like the idea of providing students with a "multiple choice" or "true or false" quiz to see what the student has learned. Incorporating the 'digital portfolio' will help the instructor come up with a good assessment for each student.

DIANA ,

True, I do think it is important to use all of the different assessment tools. "It depends" is so right!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Virginia,
I also think that digital portfolios can convey a wealth of information in terms of evaluating a students knowledge base and comprehension.

Sign In to comment