Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

a course objective, with a corresponding rubric, would be my solution.

Obviously, the answer is rubrics. That said, such a general answer isn't all that helpful. The rubrics I've used in the past leans heavily on purpose of post, second heavy on content, and then rounding out with critical thinking evaluated. I think that evaluating content is very important, but in social media facilitating meaningful conversation is more important. Content has a way of working itself out when the dialog includes numerous people.

Best,
Earl Barnett

Hello,

I would assess the students use by creating a rubric that aligns with assignments that may require students to use media hosting and sharing sites. This will help me determine if the students have learned the concepts and are able to apply them outside of the classroom. This may include asking the students to create content or write a brief summary about the material that was posted.

Christi Monk, MA

My assessment of a students use of a media hosting site would depend upon a variety of factors but my true north focus would be to assess both the students master of the subject matter as well as their use of technology. They would demonstrate their subject matter expertize through the content they delivery and its relevance to the course outcomes. This assumes the students created it. If I created it , I would measure the effectiveness of the material I provided based on the students ability to apply it and synthesis it.

Bennett,

Great thoughts! I agree with you, rubrics are the key. You also need to look at content.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Melinda ,

That is exactly what you should do! You want to make sure the assessment tool is meaningful; not busy work.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Lesley,

You have a subject matter that really does lend itself to using social media. I do think their are ways to engage about any subject but I am an optimist.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,

So, would you have them use social media and then go to your message board? How would that work?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,

So what would students do regarding the media sites?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Earl,

You make a great point, you can't just say rubrics and leave it at that. Rubrics need to be well thought out and match the outcomes you intend to measure.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Christi,

Great idea. You want to make sure students understand this isn't just busy work, it has a purpose and they have expectations to meet.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,

You really put some thought to this and you have really put some info to think about. There are many different views to take this based on a variety of variables within the activity.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I like the idea of a digital portfolio, personally. This way, students can always utilize it for future reference.

There should probably be a focused intent designed in the rubrics that requires students to utilize these resources on a weekly basis. I would assess this by how the student has demonstrated a thorough understanding of the subject matter throughout a course considering their Individual Projects and Discussion Boards.

I love this discussion! It is so much fun to work with students in this kind of medium. It's equally important to assess what they are learning. I love the use of discussion boards. We have an opportunity to use these in several of the schools at which I teach and they are really effective. You really get a good feel for what they students are taking away from what you are sharing.

I think the most effective method would be to develop a rubric. This allows students to be clear about expectations, and it makes assessment of what students produce a less complicated process.

I would argue that there are multiple ways to assess student use of media sharing. In addition to some formative assessments throughout, including discussion boards and peer led discussions, I would recommend a scavenger hunt of sorts, where students are tasked with finding appropriate resources, pictures, and videos in order to determine their ability to find these resources. In addition, socratic seminar-type questions would enable me to determine the extent to which media hosting and sharing sites have been integrated into their learning.

Dori,

That is true, and it is really a great opportunity for students to pick the work that shows they meet outcomes. It can be a very powerful evaluation.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jerome,

I agree with you. A rubric is perfect for this type of assessment. You are right about assessing weekly a rubric would be perfect for that.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Francis ,

You have a great attitude toward creating community in the online environment. Discussion boards are just that, a place to discuss. It can be a vibrant way of communicating among the group.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment