Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think the best way is to assign practice exercises for the students to complete and turn in. At this time, I can review and see if they have a grasp on the concept w/o have a penalty towards their grade.

As an instructor, I would assess the following:
- are posts relevant to the topic
- how many posts
- is the link explained or just added without letting people know why

Suzanne,

Those are great criteria. Do they match your objectives you hope to measure?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Eryn,

That is an interesting way to use the media sites. It does allow students to show their knowledge.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As a recent grad student myself, I found one of the most useful ways of assessment was through peer review of media hosting and sharing sites. One of our larger assignments in this course was to give a sample lecture live through an online course. Our fellow classmates than gave feedback on our performance and suggestions for improvement. We were graded on participating in this peer review. I found this exercise very helpful and a great way of assessment.

Turnitin.com is a great tool for developing rubrics for papers/submitted projects. They are completely customized by the instructor with scales, criteria, etc. I have found this to be an effective way to integrate Turnitin with grading and evaluation of student submitted papers.

For me I use rubrics is a way to assess the student’s use of media hosting and sharing sites. Just as I would for a presentation, I use the rubric to assess if the information is well supported, and if it increases the audience's knowledge of the topic. The rubric should include if the students has mastered the subject matter, or if not where they fall within not understanding and completely grasping the material. Another assessment within the rubric is how well they are grasping the use of the technology. This also allows me to help them if I see any student struggling. The rubric overall allows the students to know the expectations.

David Makin

Hello Dr. Kelly,

I would love to create my own interactive platform; example “Moodle-Rooms”, that allows instructors to post and update course material, interact with students, promote collaboration, as well as assess and improve performance. I can crate online flashcards, online quizzes, interactive study notes, diagrams, games, videos etc.

Marie Osuna
Online Faculty

Hello Le,

You made a valid point about rubric. As instructors, we know the biggest part of teaching is assigning grades. I agree that having a standardized rubric will help assess how well the student’s work measures up to standard. Also, student can benefit by using the rubric to see where they succeed, or not for each criterion.

Marie Osuna
Online Faculty

Hello John,

Interesting point! I too use Turnitin to check for spelling/grammar and also plagiarism. I also agree that it’s important to have useful tools to provide timely and effective feedback to students. The site is user friendly and the turnaround time for returns is almost immediately.

Marie Osuna
Online Faculty

It would depend on the material that I wanted to assess. If I wanted to know about factual information or the cognitive domain of learning from the website, I would ask a multiple choice or true/false question. If I wanted to assess more attitudes about what is on the website or the affective domain, I would use reflective journaling or discussion board as a means for assessment.

I think one good method is the incorporation of a rubric that blends a few paths. The use of sharing sites is an independent activity. Self and peer evaluation should be incorporated as well as digital portfolios. These provide clear evidence of activity and understanding of what is involved.

Rubrics help to take the subjective nature of evaluation out and provides a measure benchmark or benchmarks. The choice to pick a video or image to illustrate a point of answer a question can be subjective. But the ability to describe the illustration according a rubric provides a baseline for both the student and the teacher.

Sign In to comment