Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As an instructor at the MBA level, I deem the following to be essential, just to name a few:
file sharing
power point presentations
Excel spread sheets
Charts and graphs
SPNN
Fluency with research engines

Samia Friesen

Robert, right you are!!!!
You have raised the importance of these sites on many occasions; the inherent value in accessing the available information is definitely there.
Thank you for adding this valuable information.
Samia

There are a few basic skills that are needed for successful transition in the online forum.

-basic knowledge of word
-basic computer knowledge of how to upload an assignment.

Ruby,

Does your institution provide tutorials to help students acquire those skills? Do you create a tutorial yourself? Kudos to you for working with students to learn the skills.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Samia,

Wow, I don't know SPNN will be looking that one up. Do you have tutorials to help students learn them?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Stephanie,

Do you have students who don't have computer taking your course? How do you handle that?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The important skills students need to possess depend on the nature of the course depends on the nature of the course. For example I teach statistics and the course requires use of special software to analyze statistical data. Students need to know how to install the software in addition to other basic skills such as searching the internet efficiently, uploading files, searching the library database to review research articles. Thanks

Students need to understand how to access the internet. Not just from their homes but in other places. Students need to know that most common places have Wi-Fi. Places such as Chick-fil-a, Sam’s Club and Starbucks. Most hotels have free internet so students traveling can continue their studies. Students need to understand how to connect their computers. Cell phones such as iPhones and Blackberry can create hot spots that allow students to connect anywhere. I use my Blackberry to create a hot spot so I can talk in private and not include the noise of the coffee houses. I have been teaching and surfing the web for 2 weeks now and have only used 1 of my 10 gigs of monthly data.

A basic knowledge would be important including:
1) how to download or upload a file
2) how to name and save a document
3) the difference in file formats Word, Excel and the common .doc, .xls and .pdf extensions
4) how to format a document in Word with margins, font, spacing
5) different browsers and searching the internet
6) how to explore or navigate around a website
7) the importance of spell check
9) how to move around their LMS and know they can't "break" anything

It's important for the student to know it is not expected or required that they be a tech guru in order to take an online class and that there is support available (Tech Support Staff, Word101 Lab etc).

Chander,

You make a great point. There are some specific skills needed for some courses. Do you have a tutorial created to walk students through the process?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Peter,

Wow, that is impressive. I have concerns when students to not have unlimited access to technology. I am afraid the technology becomes the barrier.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sueanne ,

Does your institution provide a tutorial to students to learn the LMS and other technologies? You may want to create one.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Yes, there are how-to sessions and links always available. But some students (often the ones that need the help the most) don't take the time to attend or use these even when the Instructor asks "please attend a MS Word-101 lab"

This obviously depends on the class a little but typically I would expect them to have a good working knowledge of MS Office Suite. They must also be able to download and upload documents, and navigate the LMS using Internet browsers of their choice. Increasingly, students must also be able to navigate some additional software programs from adaptive learning to e-portfolios. Additionally, students must be able to use the search engine associated with the school's academic library.

I forgot to mention email skills as well as the basic computer skills. I suppose I take these so much for granted that did not even think about them. Obviously, there are people that do not know how to even turn a computer on. I did have a student saying that they could not do research using Google because they did not have Google in their computer, only Yahoo. So, obviously we should not take anything for granted.

Typing well is a good one. I often notice when conducting chats that it takes students a very long time to type a single sentence. I see them typing in the chat room but very slowly.

Sueanne ,

Isn't that frustrating? I started monitoring who accessed the tutorials and held students accountable for watching them. Students have to learn to help themselves. It will serve them well in the future! I find students will ask first because people have done the task for them when they asked in the past.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tomi,

Do you have tutorials that can help students acquire these skills? How do you help them learn the skills?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tomi,

And Google is free. . . . Do you have students that don't have access to the Internet? I am still not sure how you take an online course like that.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tomi,

It does seem to be a skill we take for granted until it comes to chatting.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment