Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I see basic web browsing skills as absolutely necessary. The other technical skill that I see as important and would like to see my students have is the ability to download and install software.

Many sites require Adobe FlashPlayer or Java. If they do not have the most recent version of these they may have difficulty completing course objectives. The base case is students being able to solve these problems on their own so they don't get behind on course work.

Best,
Brian Stout

Hello,

Thanks for the opportunity to respond to this particular questions. I believe that there are various skills that are important to a student's success in the online environment. The following are some skills I believe are important:

1) Effective use of emails (especially attaching documents).
2) Effective at using the internet (Google, other search Engines.
3) Effective and Proficient with using office applications such as Microsoft Office (or similar) to create documents
4) Ability to use a discussion board and upload assignments to a classroom Web site

I believe that these tools will make the learning experience fun smoother for the online student.

It is really important to ensure the students have the basic technical skills to be successful in an on line learning environment. Instructors take for granted the students technological knowledge through assumption. Therefore, it is encouraged that instructors provide tutorials and links to assist the students early in the course to avoid student discouragement resulting in disengagement in the course.
The students should understand the mechanics of Microsoft Office including Word documents and Excel. They should have the capacity to upload a file and save the document as well as to create a zip file as applicable. Students should really understand the various browsers to search the internet as well.

One of the most common technical issues students have at the career college I teach at is how to download and activate plugins such as Adobe reader that supports the simulation process of the learning material. However, I always provide the students with the contact number to technical support to assist.

The skills I see as most important are:

Be able to access the Internet safely
Be able to upload and download files as well as unzip them
Be able to use MS Word, MS Power Point and MS Excel.
Be able to cut and paste content into a discussion forum
Be able to use email safely
Be able to locate the grade book and read the feedback on the LMS
Be able to check their work at Turnitin to access their similarity scores
Be able to access audio and video lectures
Be able to participate in an online chat room
Be able to use instant messaging in the LMS

Fortunately the new generation of online who were raised with computer technology are used to working online already, its second nature to them. The challenge is with older students who may not be that comfortable with computers or computer technology.

Sign In to comment