Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dr. Wilkinson,

The technical skills that I see as important for online students are many--especially those that will lead them to succeed in the courseroom. The students need to be able to navigate successfully through the LMS -- to recognize where their resources, discussions, submit assignments and take tests. They must also possess the basic computer skills of typing, saving and uploading a file into the dropbox, send messages via e-mail, and read the items.
The students need to know these skills so that they know what to do in the course. In my course there is a FAQ (frequently asked questions) which goes over the common questions and illustrates videos that shows the students how to complete tasks such as attaching a file and sending e-mails.

Cheers
Su

Su,

You do something so important and that is leading students to resources that will help them be successful if they don't have the technical skills. You lead them to the resources that will make them successful. nice job.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Technically. what I look for is the ability to open and recognize how to add posts into the discussion boards and how to appropriately submit assignments through blackboard.

Students must know how to use the internet. They must know how to use search engines to find information. (Regarding the second module, they must also know how to cite information they find online.) Students must also know how to use a webcam, how to skype/gchat or use another form of online video chatting programs, how to upload a file, and how to instant message online.

I don't think students need experience navigating a LMS platform; that is a skill they can learn during the course. Before the course begins, they must know how to type, save files, upload files, create a power point file, go online, read and send email, and use a webcam. With these tools, they can learn how to navigate the LMS at the beginning of the course.

During the first week of class, the Instructor "walks" the students through the LMS, so they will be comfortable using it. Additionally, we send them a Word document that goes through the steps of how to use the LMS. Thus, we utilize different modes of instruction to teach our students how to use the LMS.

Elivett,

That is true. Students need to know how to engage with the technology so they can be successful in the class.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Chana,

You are right. Students need a technology skill set before they can be successful in the online community. Technology is the conduit to the learning not the barrier.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Chana,

You make a great point. LMS skills are built you just need to provide them a starting point and that needs to be strong. Students need to know where to start it that can be the most helpful.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Chana,

That is a great tool. This can help them start the learning process.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The technical skills I see as being important for online students would be first to feel comfortable with using the computer as a whole. I find that many online students are from various generations and some are not as familiar with the internet or computer as others. Secondly, students need to understand computer jargon or term mean, such as upload, URL, browser, link etc. I also think students need to know how to type or keyboard. Without having this particular skill it will take students longer to complete assignments and I often find a lot of spelling errors. Finally, students need to be familiar with the various types of software,such as Excel, MS Word and PowerPoint.

Students really need to have some know-how when it comes to simple technical tasks, such as emailing or attaching a file. I know that where we are, our students use iPads and that is where all schools seem to be heading, that can add even more anxiety to students who are not comfortable with technology. If you are taking course that is on-line based, a student needs to be prepared, because an instructor cannot sit and tutor one-on-one with every student that is struggling and if they never meet, that can raise even bigger issues if the student is having difficulty. We need to ensure that the student is prepared and ready to go in order for them to be successful....otherwise we are almost setting them up for failure. They will get frustrated and drop.

From personal experience, I believe the following technical skills are important for your online students:

*Being able to upload a document/assignment
*Being able to properly use Word
*Being able to work the platform/ Moodle
*Being able to check their e-mail regularly
*Being able to take a test virtually
*Knowing when to ask for help and who to go to

Students should have basic technical skills such as:

--Communicate via email including sending attachments
--Navigate the World Wide Web using a Web browser such as Internet Explorer or Fire Fox
--Use office applications such as Microsoft Office (or similar) to create documents
--Be comfortable uploading and downloading saved files
--Have easy access to the Internet

Basic computer knowledge and the ability to find help if needed.

Students should be able to open a web browser and navigate around it. They should also be able to type as well. Also that would be helpful, if they are able to conduct Internet searches and locate information needed to enhance their overall learning experience.

Besides the usual skills, such as using Office suit to create and edit documents, the students need to know how to research. I am not talking about using the browser: I am talking about students needing to know search techniques to find the information they need. I had many students that got scared of research projects and demanded that I provide the book with information. They need to know that, in the real world, one must know how to find any information necessary for completing the task. And what is education if not preparation for the real world? I think we should not wait until graduate study to introduce research courses.

I feel to be a successful online student, you must be able to:
-Search the Internet
-Access the LMS for the course
-Microsoft Word (open a document, type in it, and save the document
-Being able to upload a document
-Basic Windows
-How to use the mouse
-How to utilize an USB drive

-Being willing and able to ask questions if needed.

Being able to use the computer, and navigate withing a windows environment are key. Then depending on the class they have to be savvy with the application we are discussing for that class. At least understand the navigation. I always emphasize this with students before the class starts.

Perry

There are a broad range of skills required. Basic use of tools such as Microsoft Office, the ability to perform basic computer operations such as file handling, uploading, and downloading, the ability to use basic editing tools such as cut/copy/paste, spell checking, formatting, the ability to effectively search the Web for resources, the ability to ZIP files, and more.

Sign In to comment