Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What technical skills do you see as important for your online students?

There are many excellent points that have been covered by the Unit 3 material, and the techniques and suggestions would undoubtedly lead to less fear and more of a comfort level for students, as they familiarize themselves with computers, and the online courseroom.

There are two important technical skills that need to be imparted before a student even logs into the course for the first time, in my opinion. The first skill involved file types, file locations and uploading/downloading - throughout my experience, students that submit Assignments that are in the wrong format have shown that they need help in the course, and are at an increased risk of dropping the class, in the future. Technology can be very frustrating and it is understandable that students become confused by written, or e-mailed instructions that cause them to feel more lost. File manipulation is important, in the job market as well, due to the fact that almost all jobs involve computers to some extent, or another.

The second technical skill that is important, through the eyes of an instructor, is the spell/grammar check feature that is built into many Word Processors, and even into the course itself. In order to prepare the students for their working careers, it is imperative to have them communicate professionally, and the grammar/spell check feature contributes to this.

Cheers
Dr. E. Somnarain

Online students must have the basic skills to navigate a relatively complex LMS site, and troubleshoot things that might go wrong with access or with the computer itself.

Students should also know how to upload and download information and files of different types, and should know where in the LMS environment they are expected to find files, or to upload assignments or other files.

Students should know how to participate in online synchronous discussions, and how to use online asynchronous discussion boards.

The most important technical skill required for online learning is the ability to navigate the Internet. Secondly, the ability save and upload files.

I have had several students that take an online class and have never uploaded a file before. They have also never posted to a discussion board. I think there should be a introduction to these students so they can learn before they take the class what they should be able to do.

Denise

Online learning requires several technical skills:

1. It is important that students are aware of the basic functions of a PC.
2. Knowledge of attaching files.
3. Basic word processing functions

I believe that the technical skills necessary for online students are as followed:
The ability to effectively communicate through messaging
The ability to work with files (uploading/downloading)
Capable of using various search engines
and comfort with office products such as MS Word, Excel

Understanding the very basic computer skills is very important first hand.

In my opinion, many students have difficulty with the following:

-uploading a document
-sending email
-navigating the LMS

I find it easiest to speak with students over the phone to guide them through these difficulties. I also have had students that really struggled with typing. I guided those students to websites that I thought would be beneficial for them.

Students must have a grasp of some of the basic computer skills including:

- getting on to the internet
- logging on the LMS for the course
- learn the different search engines
- Opening, typing, and saving a word document or spreadsheet
- logging on to their email and how to receive the attachments,and emails
- Basic computer navigation skills (use of a mouse, keyboard, etc.; basic knowledge of Windows,mac, or linux

Probably the most important skills are how to submit assignments, access lectures, and post to the discussion board.

More advanced skills include: how to collaborate with peers on group projects, how to access the instructor via chat or messenger, and how to utilize resources such as library databases.

Stacy,
YES very true. Also, it is equally important that a student know WHERE to submit. I have had students who repeatedly submitted ALL of their work to the DB when in fact their individual work needed to be submitted to their individual task folder. So now in chats 1 & 2, I take the class to the various submission locations and give them verbal and visual instructions on what to submit where.

It is my belief that students need to have basic technical skills that includes how to save and submit a document, how to copy and paste onto the DB forum and how to email and IM. Fortunately, my university offers a variety of learning labs to help students such as MS Word, Excel, PPT, etc. and tech support is available 24/7.

What technical skills do you see as important for your online students?

All technical skills are important for students. Unfortunately not all come prepared or equipped with technical skills and start behind the ball so to speak having a learning curve with computer operation, Microsoft Office, Google and searching, Use of an e-library and searching for peer reviewed journal articles vs. using websites, platform function in the online delivery system, in addition to the pressure of learning new subject matter, time lines, tons of documents, tools, tips, things to click on, and University policy all become somewhat overwhelming and at times paralyzing for the new or less experienced students. Opening and saving and uploading documents, formatting documents and computer operation, how to work with Microsoft office (Basic docs, Word,, Power Point, Excel…), classroom operations, where to find things, and how to do basic research for their courses is a good start….There are many things those who work online take for granted and it puts the student at a severe disadvantage when starting a class online. It also puts a student at a disadvantage if these things are not in an introductory course before the student starts with academics (required) many think they will “figure it out” and get stressed out and behind along the way.
Joanna Oestmann

The list of important technical skills are important for students to have is long. Having a computer they are familiar with is a start. Basic computer operation, use of Microsoft Office, Google and searching through an e-library for journal articles is a start. Understanding how to use the classroom platform & where to find things, and how to do basic research for their health care courses is very important as the time goes by swiftly online. The more experience the student has online and with technology the more successful they can become focusing on the subject matter and digging into the research. Eric Oestmann

Dr. Crews,

For my particular field (math), students should have the basic ones like uploading a file, downloading a file, attaching files to email, comfortable with the LMS and using its various features and contents; but, they should also know:
1. how to type equations in Microsoft Word.
2. how to use Excel to do some basic calculations and draw graphs.
3. How to use a calculator
4. How to use other required mathematical software.

Thank You,
Srabasti Dutta

Hello,

When students present to the online environment, it is very important that they know how to navigate within the LMS. This is very important because the student has to know how to access information in order to be successful in the program. Also, it is important that students are familiar with uploading assignments into the LMS.

The technical skillsw needed for an on line course are in my opinion
a) basic knowledge of the operating system under use
b) basic understanding of Internet connectivity
c) basing knowledge of Microsoft suite
d) knowledge of th LMS

They need to be connected to the Internet, have access to a computer and be able to use Office applications and the LMS that is used to deliver the courses. They also need to be able to create and upload documents, choose the appropriate browser and operating system to be able to log into the chat utilities and instant messaging systems used, email systems and access videos and online reading materials offered. Most of today's students have these skills, although I do see some that are still a bit bewildered by IT and there needs to be an effective orientation session for both the LMS and required technical skills for those who may not be prepared.

Using a search engine well is one of the key technical skills that is more helpful to students. Lets say that you want to get material on virtualization. You can search on definition: virtualization, virtualization tutorial, virtualization ebook, virtualization filetype:ppt, or search on virtualization and click on the YouTube link. If you want current information you also can include the current year (2012) in your search string.

Another semi-technical skill is persistence. If something on a computer doesn't work you keep trying until it does, or you call up technical support, or your use your computers help system, or use a search engine to find a solution.

Best regards,

Alan Grayson
Computer Guy

Hi Cynthia - Interesting material. I totally agree. Some students make the use of their technical skills more challenging by not having a decent computer or a decent Internet connection. Then if there is a problem they don't have a backup plan. I am a little paranoid and have a 3G as well as a cable modem connection. This was helpful when I was teaching a class online and power failed, It was also helpful when my wireless access point failed. When I travel, I also take two laptops just in case. I have had students on dial up, and students who didn't have a computer so they used the library. They made the application of their technical skills all the more challenging.

Sign In to comment