Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Completing the self-analysis inventory will allow us to know the strengths and weaknesses we have. In analyzing our weaknesses we will be able to design a plan to improve.

As an online instructor, it's important to complete a self-analysis inventory to assess the skill level, competencies, commitment to be an online instructor.

I can relate to be an online student, so I know the various challenges my students may face. This allows me to be more open to different situations that may affect their abilities to deliver their work on time.

However, I still have to set rules in my classroom to prevent some from students from taking advantage of being in an online learning environment.

I am thinking back to my first online instructor position. How scary was that! Before I applied for the position, I thought about what strengths I might have to be success: motivation, time management, and organization. However, I knew that I was "unsure" of the technical component. As it turned out, the school that I was going to teach for provided on orientation that allowed us to become familiar with the course platform. This was most helpful in building the confidence to be successful.

As I took on new and different online teaching positions, I had developed more confidence related to the technology. I knew that if I could master one, I could master them all!

Laurie

Detra,

I would agree that there is always room for improvement with our teaching technique. New technology is being introduced that requires us to keep up to date, the expectations of schools and students changes, and we need to keep our skills updated and challenged to meet these expectations.

Laurie

This is a great response. We learn on a continual basis and we can always improve some aspect of our abilities. Technology constantly changes as well and we need to stay ahead of the curve here so we can assist the students.

Self analysis helps us identify areas of weakness and opportunities for improvement.

Taking an online course is also very beneficial in helping to build self confidence - it puts us in the same position as the student and we can be more empathetic.

If you complete a self analysis you will be able to identify opportunities for improvement in areas where you identify weaknesses. You may also see strengths that have previously been unrecognized and you may be able to build on those as well.

It is important to understand what your strengths and weaknesses are so there can be improvement. You need to be able to assist all students in your class and you should be able to understand learning styles.

As instructors, we have a tendency to calcify or stay in our comfort zones. Technology, however, is undeniably always changing, and generally at a rapid pace. By completing self analysis and inventories on an ongoing basis, we can make sure that we're measuring up to what the platform has to offer.

At the same time, we'll be able to find out where our strengths and weaknesses lie. Then we can teach to our existing skill set and work on making improvements and gains in other areas.

Emily,

You are right. It gives us as instructors starting points to really individualize learning .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Darren,

You are right, we have to use it well. We have to provide feedback for that "assessment" as well.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Antoinette,

You make a good point, it is not all about the content, but setting the expectations of the course and the instructor. Good answer.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Laurie,

I think the orientation is such an important part of online learning. You can create an online orientation about your course and your teaching too.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Janet,

Research shows taking an online course is the BEST training for an online educator! Good answer!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Janet,

You are right, you need to recognize the strengths! We tend to focus on the negative don't we?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Denise,

You make a great point of understanding our own strengths and weaknesses so we can adjust.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Erin,

You are right! Research shows we are most comfortable teaching to the way we learn the best. That doesn't work with all of the students!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The self analysis for an on line instructor is important so as doscover one's strengths and take advantage of them, and weaknesses and reinforce them.

Self-analysis is ongoing for all…we all can strengthen and adapt time management, problem solving, content management and must understand how this all connects to our learning style, our motivation, and ability to problems solve, critically think, and manage a class with many things going on. A faculty member is organizing, teaching, explaining, creating, grading, a customer service rep, and leading a group which takes more skill than being a subject matter expert.
Joanna Oestmann

Faculty self-analysis is just as essential as student self-analysis. Many faculty are hired to teach online without experience or knowledge of how fast paced, how complicated, and time consuming teaching one class online can be. Again, learning style is key being a visual learning and teacher (not auditory talking on the phone or chatting with someone) as it is what is written that counts and gets graded not what is spoken. Faculty also have issues with time management, problem solving, finding things, technology, and understanding the system they are working in all creating an analysis an important tool for setting goals and management of the outcomes. Eric Oestmann

Sign In to comment