Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dr. Christopher,

That is a great point. We are really talking about to types of self-analysis; one about content and one regarding online learning skills. Both provide instructors valuable information.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Very important to know if the student has the skills needed to be successful in the online classes. If not, determine if there is a way to help them become a good candidate for online learning. It also gives you a warning that a student may require more attention.

Alicia,

Great post, I am finding more tools to help students improve their deficiencies without overwhelming the faculty to create the resource. Publishers have many resources.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I believe that in order to help students learn we need to know what our strengths and weaknesses are. I want to make sure that I am able to help each student to the best of my ability. If I am not comfortable with the course content (already created), technology to be used, I will not be effective with my students.

Gail ,

Great post. With the technology we have today we can create the "individualized improvement plans" that are beneficial to the students and not onerous on the instructor.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

No matter my strengths, knowledge, and expertise as an instructor, there will always be areas that need work in order for me to improve. It is critical that an instructor is aware of "both sides" of the coin because both strengths and weaknesses will have an impact on the learner's success. An effective self-analysis will force me to see both sides and determine successful impacts on the learner's success.

It's important to conduct a self-analysis to ensure that all skills (and equipment) are up-to-date to be able to accommodate the upcoming academic expectations.

Tom,
You make a great point! That is why we all practice life long learner. Many of us (as well as our students ) are in or will be in careers and have knowledge we never dreamed existed when we started the learning process.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Ed,

I haven't thought of using self analysis that way. You have to make sure that your self analysis fits the needed skill set.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As online instructors we need to understand our strengths and weaknesses and look for opportunities for continuous improvement to become a better teacher. This involves evaluating ourselves from different perspectives such i) use of technology, ii) time management and organization skills, iii) multitasking abilities and iv) communication skills. Self-analysis inventory will help us identify the skills we need to improve as well as utilizing the strengths to their full potential. To put it in perspective, the inventory will help create our baseline profile which can be used a sa base to improve upon and become more effective in the online environment. Thanks

Chander,

What a great post. It surprises me when instructors demand so much learning from their students and won't be the example to them. We should know that we should all be life long learners and we have to be the examples.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hello Dr. Wilkinson,

I believe it is important to complete a self-analysis inventory for two reasons: to make sure that one can meet the minimum technological requirements necessary to conduct the online course and to grow as a teacher. I run a system diagnostic to make sure that my browser is compatible with the LMS, and I make sure that the programs I'm running are compatible with the LMS. It's an old adage, but one I live by as a teacher: teaching is a learning process. To that end, it is important to for me to continue my professional development in the area of online technology in order to help the students get the most out of their online experience. One way I've used new technologies is to create personal course videos with interactive Powerpoint slides and to link them throughout the course to announcements and blogs. I'm no technological wizard, but I'm learning to keep up with the times!

Best,
James Brad Maroney

As with any complex project, it's important to first take stock to be sure you're able to maximize the effectiveness of the platform you're using, both by making sure you understand the tools available and making sure your teaching style and strengths are reflected by the tools you use in a meaningful way. Online learning is very different from F2F, and having a basic understanding of content delivery, analysis, evaluation, communication, and all aspects of an online class is essential to achieve the best learning outcomes.

By using a self analysis inventory it prepares the instructor to teach the course. Are we familiar with certain technologies. Certain things in the course. This is crucial for me as I teach IT courses, and by going through the material each week, I am prepared to answer student questions. Always learning while teaching.

Perry

As a graduate from an online university and an online instructor - I believe that student self-analysis inventories are essential. We need to know our students in order to help them succeed in the course.

I believe that you also need to assess your ability to use and understand the technology that we are asking our students to use. Just like a traditional classroom, you can teach what you dont understand.

Sign In to comment