Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

June,

You hit the nail one the head. The first year I taught F2F, I wasn't the best teacher ever. It is a learning process for all involved. But being engaged and available as an online instructor helps the students get engaged as well. Thanks for your input.

Paul, you make a good point about time. As this course points out, it may take even more time to do an online than an in-seat class. Most students expect the opposite so many feel too overwhelmed. I have heard them complain that they were told they could do the class any time at their leisure as if it were just a taped movie they could replay with little effort on thir part. The same is true of instructors, but there are often good reasons for feeling overwhelmed (too many students, etc.). One must know not only himself but also the expectations of the school.

June & Paul,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. Students to many times have the wrong view on online courses. It's good to let them know the timeline and expectations up front. Thanks again for your input.

As instructors, we also need to be willing to improve ourselves and our abilities. Learning is a lifelong process.

It is important to complete a self-analysis inventory so that we can ensure that we are fit for the requirements as well. I recently had a life-change that only allowed me to teach a portion of the online courses that I originally have taught. It was hard to let go since I enjoyed it so much, but my own evaluation showed me that I would be cramming for time and would put more stress on my schedule and limit what I could offer to other students.

Nathan,

Good points! Sometimes it takes something like that to reevaluate workload.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It is important for an onine instructor to complete a self-analysis inventory because learning never ends. Just because we are the instructors does not mean there is nothing we can improve upon.

Hi Dr. Crews

It would be important for online instructor to take a self-analysis inventory to understand how they learn online themselves to help their online students.

Thanks
Alana

I have found that many teachers (like students) think that online teaching is somehow easier than FTF. While we all love teaching at home in our pajamas it is definitely not for everyone. It is good to find out what it really takes to do a job before you dive in and possibly drown. It is sad for me to see new online teachers struggle to keep up and quickly lose their jobs because they are not able to meet the expectations. Maybe all jobs should have some form of self-analysis that they give to potential employees to see if the job is a good fit.

Karen,

Good point! We have to make sure that we as online educators don't come complacent.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Liz,

Well said. Many programs require students to take self analysis inventories to determine readiness for online ed; we may want to do the same for our educators. Should we make all online instructors take an online course as a student?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Alana,

You are right! The best way to be an effective online educator is to be an online student at some time.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I understand learners need to complete a self-assessment, but for instructors, it’s a valid a point as well, especially for new instructors and a periodic checkup. For new instructors, same things that impact learners might impact instructors, unawareness, and unfamiliarity, unsure of oneself, strengths and weaknesses. Also, as time goes on, people pick up bad habits, I think an ongoing self-assessment helps to shine the light on any bad habits that might have been picked up, but in addition, is the faculty member constantly trying new practices, taking new training, trying out new ideas to learners, because what worked in the past, even six months ago, doesn’t always work out now.

Steven,

What great insight. You are right, we can pick up bad habits. Lifelong learning is for all!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree - I've pciked up a lot of bad habits and I think these courses help me to see them and adjust

A self-analysis inventory is necessary to ensure the instructor is prepared to teach the class. With a SAI the instructor can ensure that s/he has the necessary technology, understands how to use it in an instructional context, and can prepare a communication strategy for the class. It is also valuable in that it provides the instructor an opportunity to assess the class as a whole and to develop a roadmap to ensure good time-management throughout the class. By doing these things the instructor affords him/herself the opportunity to identity areas of the class that require extra attention.

Much like a learner trying a new type of course delivery, an instructor teaching in the online environment must realize it has its own set of rules.

What might be considered okay in a F2F class wouldn't necessarily be okay in an online environment.

One benefit of a self analysis for the instructor often demonstrates strengths and weaknesses in communication skills, which allows an instructor time to figure out a way to clarify before any instructions become unclear.

Kristen

Hi Everyone, I have been teaching online for 7 years. I do think that instructors have to realize that teaching online is very different than teaching face too face. Online instructors should do a self-inventory so that they can see whether or not they are suited for the following skills.

1. To be constantly online and therefore create a visible presence
2. The ability to react quickly to online issues so that students know that you are available
3. The ability to communicate effectively through written feedback
4. To be able to achieve a welcoming and engaging tone
5. To grade quickly and effectively
6. To be able to run the discussion boards effectively so that all students can be part of the conversation.
7. To use Socratic questioning on the Discussion Board

These skills are necessary to teach online in a successful manner. A self-inventory will help guide a potential instructor to understand his or her skill set.

Best
Julie

Very simply it lets me know if I am ready to teach an online course or not. Do I have the technical skills, do I know what's involved(like any new teaching situation a person can never fully be prepared)but some preparation is better than none. Do I have interpersonal skills that will translate to an online environment? This I believe is key to any teaching situation.

I already did but here it is again.
Very simply it lets me know if I am ready to teach an online course or not. Do I have the technical skills, do I know what's involved(like any new teaching situation a person can never fully be prepared)but some preparation is better than none. Do I have interpersonal skills that will translate to an online environment? This I believe is key to any teaching situation.

Hello,
I really liked your posting because I agree that online instructors must understand how they can best faciliate an online course so that students receive the most and benefit from the level of instruction delivered. For example, when I first started teaching online -- I developed a personal survey that I completed and shared with my students. This allowed me to understand the strengths and weaknesses of online learning, as well as gain a deeper understanding of how I need to be dilligent instructor, as well as better understand the learning styles and time committment of my students.

Sign In to comment