Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As with a student, self-analysis is key to understanding both our limitations as well as our strengths. Once we know these, we can better alter our teaching methodologies to turn our weaknesses into strengths.

I must say though that I have not been asked to conduct many instructor self-analysis tests for myself by schools during my teaching career. I think every school and every instructor would find value in it.

- Dr. Eileen Wibbeke

Just like any job, you should show up prepared. Teaching online is a little different because you can do it from any location and the schedule is flexible. I think it's a great idea for instructors to complete a self-analysis to make sure they're prepared for the challenges that they may face. These challenges are different for each instructor, but being aware of your weak areas vital. If you know that you don't have a lot of time, you can develop a schedule to help you stay on top of the tasks associated with teaching online. Or if you have technological difficulties, you can get support before you begin teaching or even purchase equipment to eliminate those difficulties. I think it's good to analyze yourself periodically, because things may change in your life. For example, I began teaching online in December 2011, but I had my first child in May 2012. I had to rearrange my schedule completely and be okay with getting work done in small increments instead of getting it all done at one time. Ultimately, you want to be an effective instructor and engage your students in meaningful ways that allow them to learn and progress. In order to do that, you have to know the limitations within yourself and your environment.

Cynthia,

What a great example. So you know first hand what it means to change workload based on environmental forces otherwise known as children! :0

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Eileen,

I agree with you both for f2f and with online. We need to refocus our efforts from time to time.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Adib,

What a great idea! I like that idea of sharing information with the class! Nice post.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Kirk,

What about your students? Do you discuss these issues with your students and have them self evaluate?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Kirk,

You make a great point. How does my personality as well as my skills translate? I am a good f2f educator and I had to work very hard to get my "fix" from teaching online. It can be done. . . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Julie,

I like the fact that you use the Socratic method for your discussion boards. How to you prepare your online students for that?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

kristen,

True! You do have to look at your f2f skills and see what can transfer in the online environment. Then you have to evaluate skills you need for the online environment. It can be frustrating at times.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Paul,

That is right. That resource can really complement an online instructor.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Steven,

I have too! Answering these posts and ready comments really helps me in developing new skills.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

To complete a self-analysis inventory will only help you take stock of where your own personal strengths and weaknesses are. Bad habits can creep in and an inventory will help make them more visible to you so that something can then be done about them. We can always improve. The first inventory establishes a baseline of where we are at. If we periodically do the self-analysis inventory the we will see how we have changed. Becoming objective like this also enables us to accentuate more of the positive and possible add to our strengths. Areas such as time management, or becoming more comfortable with technology and improving communication skills enable us to reach our students more effectively. What's more, these skills or strengths span more than just the course but also influence our personal lives, so the benefits go beyond the mere classroom.

A self-analysis inventory allows for a self stock in many directions, all which give us fodder to become better online instructors. First, of course, we discover – if we are honest! – our own strengths and weaknesses. The strengths can be used as is or tweaked to fit the reqirements online teaching demands. And our negatives give us valuable reminders that we will never be perfect (but we must continue striving to be!), that we have possible habits that may get in the way of our teaching online at a maximum level (thus taking away from the students’ online learning experience), and a reminder of how we might have changed – we might have slipped a bit – in certain areas of which we really were not cognizant.

Our self-inventory also gives us a closer look at how we can take our strengths and add to them, thus building on already strong abilities that cab only help our students, and thus our success as an online instructor and the reputation of our school. One important example of this is technology: always changing, we may feel comfortable in what we know, not realizing our knowledge is outdated, and more current editions / versions of technology exist that could enhance our teaching efforts.

Finally, a self-analysis inventory takes us beyond the course, into all facets of our life. Yes, this will allow us to improve as a person overall, and what we often forget is this holistic improvement has a direct positive impact on our teaching online – it may be small, it may be miniscule, it may even go unnoticed, but make no mistake: it is there, and any hemidemisemiquaver of improvement we bring to a course is one more plus for the students.

I daresay from many conversations with online instructors over the years very few take self-analysis inventories. Your thoughts on why this is the case?

Instructors should be self-evaluating continuously. Having a good inventory list offers strong guidance to help us consider elements of our instruction we may not have considered for awhile, especially for those of us who have been teaching online for many years- we tend to begin to take many things for granted.

Darcy Schultz

It's important for instructors to complete a self-analysis inventory to get a picture of their stengths and weaknesses. We are not perfect. Instructors may need to modify and adjust our teaching techniques, strategies, and delivery of the concepts in a variety of ways that align with every student's learning style. There is always room for growth and improvement.

roger,

You are so right! I if you only "take stock" of your personal strengths and weaknesses once, you only have a base point; we do pick up bad habits. Good teaching requires us to reexamine and reflect.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Errol,
You are also correct that the first thing we must do is be honest with ourself! We need to be able to realistically discuss our strength and realistically admit our weaknesses. Then create a plan of action for change. It is always a circle. . . never ending; continuous improvement. I think all instructors should to this regardless of delivery method.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Darcy,

You are so right! We as educators have to practice continuous quality improvement. It doesn't matter if it is f2f or online!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Detra,

Great answer! It is easy for use to teach the way we learn; that is our natural inclination!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hi,

Just as we want students to be prepared, we as instructors need to know where we are at before beginning a course. We need to be honest with ourselves and assess our own strengths and weaknesses. We can leverage the former for success, and work on the latter to facilitate the very best we can!

Sign In to comment