Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is important to complete a self analysis inventory to identify weaknesses and strenghts. Evenutally, we should ultimately strive to close all weaknesses, the best we can to make us better instructors, and ultimately better people. To a large extent this is a goal of self development programs, such as what we are taking now.

Edna,

What a great course. at post! You really did identify a skill set very well. I think you make a great point regarding instructors needing to have certain skills. I also think we have to add that they are willing to continue to learn new a ways of facilitating. I have found that instructors that were pioneers in the online environment seem to stop learning new ways of facilitating online. It becomes a barrier to student learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Leah,

Don't you think you being an online learner makes you a better online instructor. Most research bares this out. Great post.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Andrew,

Love your post! Yes, it does and you are confident enough to use them as they were intended; to make you a better educator. Great post.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Andrew,

LOVE THIS! I may share this with my colleagues. It was so well put. Students do depend on our continuous improvement.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Christi,

Don't you wish this process would be done for f2f educators also? All those fine qualities you state should be for all educators not just the online ones. Great post.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Lawrence,

Isn't it a type of assessment. We want to "close the loop" regarding our own assessment of teaching.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As an instructor I am always trying to improve my teaching skills. Every class is different regarding subject matter, and student population. I want to be an effective teacher regardless of the classroom environment.

David,

That is the purpose of instructor self-analysis inventory. We have to have continuous quality improvement.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hi all,

I would say instructors will complete a self-analysis to ensure they are prepared. Ensuring preparedness will provide a substantive and structured learning environment. This will also help the instructor identify student challenges in the online community. In identifying these challenges, the instructor can meet the needs of the student efficiently. I struggle with technology, as an instructor teaching online this means I have to strengthen this area to further assist my students. Some students may have the same problem. Thank God for IT support. Thanks, Compreca

compreca,
You are right, it does make sure we as instructors continue to work to improve our skills. It also let's us continue to do what we do well.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I, like students, need to ensure I have the time to devote to their learning experience. It is not fair to students if I am partially attentive to their needs. I need to analyze myself so that I identify my weak points and work on them. Same rules that apply to the students should apply to the instructors. We have to be organized, dedicated, focused, attentive, etc. I have the same expectations of my students.

Also, knowing my strong points will allow me to share those with students and provide good examples of things that may help them be successful in the online environment.

Kimberly,

Great post. We as instructors need to practice what we teach. Students should have realistic expectations of us.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have been teaching online firm over 12 years. I am not sure if a self-analysis inventory would be beneficial at this stage. Clearly, it would be beneficial for a new instructors who would be teaching online. Even so, as computers become more more prevalent in society, I am not sure that the self-awareness inventory has value. It just seems that there are altogether too many people playing video games, and this scale will transfer over into an online classroom.

Discover weaknesses so you can improve upon them. Understand strengths so you can continue to grow them.

Donald,

Why? Don't you think you can refocus your efforts from video games to an online course? I do think we have to evaluate ourselves regularly to make sure that we aren't the dinosaurs in the online teaching environment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jessica,

That is right and so important for all of us involved in life long learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It is important to complete a self-analysis inventory because self assessments let you learn about your skills, interests, personality and values.

Natasa,

True. How many of us them on social media. Students need to learn their weaknesses and work on them and they need to learn their strengths be able to play to them.
Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

To let my university know how the course went in respect to tech support, textbook, media, library support, tutoring, and any technical problems.
To let the university know if students would recommend me to others, and if I would recommend my university to others.
If the course materials was appropriate for the subject comparable to other similar courses.
Did I have adequate materials for the course.

Sign In to comment