Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

William,

How would a self analysis inventory show all of this information?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Self analysis is a part of the revision process that should take place in any learning environment.

Self analysis must include collection of information on the measures that relate the course objectives and the course outcomes. A variety of assessment tools should be used.

The inventory of actions for the instructor provides information for assessment on the abilities and skills of the instructor to prepare and engage the students in the online class room. Even though the self analysis should be completed before a course begins; cyclical and ongoing collection of information from the students, from the students' outcomes and from the performance of the technology that is employed provides reliability and validity of the original assessment of instructor's abilities and skills. The instructor must identify the source of poor performance and poor outcomes. Either the instructor takes action to improve his or her abilities or the instructor takes action to assist students in improving their skills.

For the instructor, he must improve their performance by utilizing their strengths and by eliminating their weaknesses.

Hi All,

Given our positions, it is easy to image we already know what it will take to complete and succeed in a course. But that is not always the case. A self-analysis inventory is a way of making that more of a reality. Here again I say, it’s all about preparations. Taking the time to formally consider the class and the requirements of managing it is one of the best tools to ensure our weakness are acknowledged and accounted for. In my case, I always like to assess my time management before the term begins. Hitting key deadlines and ensuring I have key dates on my calendar helps me avoid conflicts and issues of balancing work with life.

James.

James,

Great points! It does help both you and the student regarding planning. Work life balance is really important.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Albert,

Great observations. It amazes me even in the online environment, many instructors don't explore their strengths and weaknesses to improve their teaching. Shouldn't we promote life long learning and what better way than continuous improvement.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I may have years of experience in the field, however if I cannot convey that to an online classroom because my inexperience in teaching in a new environment, well, I need to know what my strengths and weaknesses are so that I can provide an online experience that best benefits the students.

Stephen,

You make such a great point. Students will think that you have a lack of knowledge if you can't manage the technology. We do have to establish our expertise in the content and somewhat in the technology.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have been teaching online for several years and I am constantly evaluating my effectiveness in teaching through a self-analysis inventory. As I have more interactions with students, I find that I may be deficient in a certain area of my online interaction and then I reflect on the issue and respond accordingly.

What methods have you found to be effective in self-analysis?

Stacy,

Great post! It is important for us to reflect on teaching to continuously improve. I use student evaluations to help me improve on my teaching. I will also ask another professor to look through my online course like a peer review.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It tells you what skills the student brings to the table for an online course. Our school uses one in the admissions process and some of the questions are designed to help the student prepare before they start. For instance, If they are not comfortable with technology, we can recommend some basic navigation. If they are comfortable then we don't recommend that avenue. Some of the questions help us provide support after they start school. Things like time management, organizational and writing skills can be supported.

Pennie,

Great strategies. Do you reinforce that information in your course?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Similar to my response for why a student self-analysis inventory is important...An online instructor needs to become aware of their strengths and weaknesses. By knowing their strengths they can structure the class to their advantage. However, by finding their weaknesses they can take the time to develop the skills or learn the skills/technology needed to give their students a better class environment and learning experience. Personally, I am an avid learner so I look for things that I can improve upon. It also gives me more experience so that I can provide legitimate and real-word experience to my students.

Miriam,

I agree with you. I want students to know that I am improving and learning with them. I do want them to understand that I am always looking for different ways to guide them in their learning. We learn together.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

To know your strengths and weaknesses. To be able to improve on the weak areas but also to not commit yourself to technologies that one is not able to handle or be willing to learn.

carol,

That is true. How do you think this helps students learn?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It's important for me to understanding my strengths and weaknesses when it comes to teaching online. With the different learning platforms that we as instructors can be exposed to, it's important not to lose sight of the student in all of this.

As it was stated in our course material, I need to ensure that, when looking at my strengths and weaknesses, that they are acknowledged, utilized, and where necessary, improved upon so that I can become better at teaching online.

David,

What a great post! Yes, we want to make sure we are practice continual improvement in our delivery and methodology. Yes, old dogs can learn new tricks.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think a self-analysis is important in an online course more so than a face to face class because you presentation and teaching style may not translate the way you think it does in an online setting. In a face to face course, you are constancy self-monitoring and adjusting your presentation style to your audience, where the presentation of the material may be perceived and consumed differently in an online setting. I could almost make the analogy of a stand-up comedian performing in for a live audience, vs. the same comedian making an audio recording for the same material. The adjustments made in the live vs. recorded settings may not be obvious to the comedian and they may need adjustments to perform better.

Michael,

You make such a great point! You do need to re-evaluate your teaching style for online. When I first began to teach online, I actually scripted my lectures which was something I never did in my f2f course. I wanted to speak succinctly so I slowed my speech patter down. Students HATED it! I actually had one student that asked if I thought all of the students in the course were impaired :). I relaxed a bit and recorded much like I conduct my f2f course. It was a tough lesson for me.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It provides knowledge about where we all are as we start a new online course.
It provides the instructor insight into the levels of the students are coming into the class and then adjustments could be made OR extra support for those students needing it can be provided.

Jan

Sign In to comment