Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I had never really thought of a 'pattern of learning' in a formal way. As a student, I always felt more comfortable in courses that had consistent patterns, and as an instructor I tended to set up my courses that way, but I did not think of it as a thjeoretical underpinning. 

I have already been learning about synchronous and asynchronous learning through other courses provided by my university. What I learned through this module is that it is important to to develop a pattern of teaching for both synchronous and asynchronous settings. This is something that I have not done to the extent that I would like to. I think the ideas about organizing the course will help with that.

Choosing the best platform for the type of learning that will occur and the outcomes you wish to achieve is critical to the success of the course.

benefits of synchronous vs asynchronus, I think synchronus engages more for being able to ask/clarify questions

I learned the pros of both learning styles and how to best use them for my students.

Synchronous and asynchronous learning guidelines are important. Students like clear expectations so they can know how to succeed in your class. The instructor's organization is key to this. 

It is very important to be organized and communicate to help students better succeed. 

EIther way of providng a learning it is important to communicate in various types of method. 

Consistency is important, as is establishing patterns for teaching. Communication and organization are also important to learners. 

I believe there can be both synchronous and asynchronous componenets to a course. However, as the course proceeds, the course may need to be altered. 

Being consistent and in constant communication with which ever method you chose. Both serve an important and valuable purpose. 

This will be an effetive tool for students who are working adults and are unable to attend or "sit-in" classes in real time, this will alloiw them to access content at their own availability

Synchronous learning is learning actively at the same time vs asynchronous in which students participate learn on own time such as discussion posts.  It is important to note their ability of acess for these methods.

It is important to determine which method, synchronous vs asynchronous will provide the best instructional delivery method for the content area.  Each method has its advantages and disadvantages.  Regardless of which method is used, it is important to establish guidelines for learning in an online community and to develop a pattern of teaching or consistency in outcomes, communication, location, content delviery, assignment submissions and questions & answers.  This consistency will go a long way in reducing student anxiety related to what to expect from the course instructor and what the course instructor will expect from the student.

Reply to Gulsebnem Bishop's post

You are so right. Clear communication is essential especially in an online environment. As we have seen over the past year, the method of teaching has been almost entirely sychronist or asynchonoist. Personally, I have learned to like certain aspects of the virtual environment but there are so many aspects of teaching live that the online environment cannot provide.

Communication and ensuring students review and have an understanding of the course learning objectives are so important. Using the learning management system to ensure consistency assists the students in developing a comfort level with the course and enhances their learning.

It is very important for the instructor to determine which method is appropriate for the delivery of his or her course, synchronous or asynchronus learning by comparing and contrasting advantages and disadvantages of each method. Developing guidelines is critical for both the methods as it makes expectations very clear to both the instructor and the students. Organization of the content and material is important for both the methods but it is especially vital for asynchronous learning. Many coponents in the pattern of teaching are necessary but communication is most important for the students to successfully meet the learning outcomes.

Communication is key. Setting course expectations promotes student success. It is also important to be organized no matter what type of classroom one is setting yp synchronous or asynchronus. 

Cheryl

It is important to figure out if the synchronis or asynchronis method will work for you.  I personally would use the asynchronis method because having students in different time zones will be more manageable.

Setting out and communicating guidelines and your pattern of teaching are even more critical in online learning, whether synchronous or asynchronous, because many of the the usual cues are missing or obscured.

Sign In to comment