Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In order to close the loop I believe it is important to include self, peer and student evaluations. As the instructor, it is important to know your classroom inside and out. If there are questions throughout the course it is the instructor that must clarify so if something stands out as not comprehensive or difficult to understand for the instructor that is a big clue that an adjustment may need to be made with the course material or clarity of expectations. Then again, as the instructor there are some things that may be missed due to a predetermination of what is expected so having the eyes of a peer instructor that knows the material, but is still looking from the outside in, can bring a different perspective as to whether what is expected is clear and relevant. Finally, it is ultimately the students that must be able to navigate and understand what is expected of them the course in order to be successful not only in the course but in gaining the necessary knowledge to move forward in their continued education.

Christine,

I agree that a variety of evaluations can provide us, as online instructors, with a lot of information. We have to then use that information to edit the course, assignments, rubrics, etc. to the benefit of us and our students. Thanks!

I like the idea of peer review--having another instructor review my class. As an observer, this person can often help me understand the dynamics of my classroom and sparked a discussion on what works and what doesn't.

Julie,

I agree. When our peers, who are also teaching online, review our course, they bring a great perspective to the review. It's good to hear what others think about our course. Thanks for your input.

I think a variety of feedback, including but not limited to, feedback from my students, administrators, and my fellow online classroom teachers. In my online school, I like how they have instructors peer coaching so we can always go into different classrooms and provide our co-workers with feedback.

Erika,

Excellent. Sounds like your institution has a system to help instructors. Thanks.

To effectively close the loop, I have found the most effective feedback is provided by the students. The students will feel rewarded with a sucessfull syllabus that engaged them to learn to their full potential and will always search for improvements that will work specific to them. Providing this feedback in a course feedback provides one insight to their successes and potential setbacks. This feedback direct from a student will provide specific course content comprehension and instructor ability.
Feedback obtained from colleagues or managers provide more opportunity for personal teaching growth and set up goals for future advancement.

It goes both ways:

Students are evaluating their instructor and visa versa. Listening to students is important. When more than one says they don't understand, then it is my time to elevate either myself or the course.

Check syllabus occasionally to see if matches what students are inline with. I am negligent in that area and will pursue it in the future.

Now that I am learning so much, it is time for me to be the student again and learn!

Cristina,

Helping the students feel rewarded it a good point to bring up. That can be a motivating factor. Getting feedback from others is also a key factor. Thanks!

Maureen,

Right. Evaluations are for all involved. Instructors are not left out. We all have to thing about what we are doing well and what can be improved and then work toward the improvements. Thanks!

Initially I think assignments, examinations and student feedback. I would look at peer observations later.

I would say that student evaluations are the best way to 'close the loop'. While it may be true that they can't see behind the scene and know an institutions academic/curriculum goals, but if an institution is truly student-centered that feedback should be closely tied to institutional goals in a way that their feedback would most allow for closing the loop.
M Boddy

John,

A good variety of evaluations is helpful. Everyone comes at the evaluation from a different perspective. That's a good thing. Thank you for your input.

Michelle,

Student evaluations tell you a lot. I think most students are honest too and that goes a long way. Thanks.

I will use a combination of different evaluation tools from your multiple stakeholders to close the loop because no one tool will allow me to close the loop when evaluating and revising a course. The evaluation tools that I will use to close the loop include the following:

(1) Course Grades
(2) Syllabus Analysis
(3) Student feedback
(4) Interview of stakeholders
(5) Peer Observation/Review
(6) Pre-test and post-test
(7) Course Concept map

The above listed tools will provide both quantitative and qualitative data. Quantitative data will give me measurable data (numerical or statistical data that I need to see from the evaluation tools) and qualitative data or data that will give me a description of the results of the evaluation tools. Qualitative tools will also provide the why and the how of the evaluation results.

Cecil,

I agree that a combination of student evaluations and peer faculty reviews would give an overall good comprehensive feedback to assist in closing the loop. These two evaluations can also provide both quantitative and qualitative data if the evaluation tool uses a questionnaire designed for statistical analysis of the responses that also allows participants to add their comments at the end of each survey.

From my experience, students evaluations and peer review have been instrumental in updating my online course.

I believe the students grades are the most comprehensive feed back because the assessment is coming from the rubric which is matched up to the learning objective. The learning objectives is the bible of the course.

Dr. Crews,

In my opinion, feedback from the students, my colleagues and the institution would provide me with the most comprehensive feedback because they evaluate different aspects of how I conduct my classes.

-Christine

Harprit,

I agree. These are excellent ways to get meaningful feedback to help you improve your online courses. Thanks.

Sign In to comment