Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Jacqueline,

Good point. It depends on the students, assignment, instructor and content. It's good to think about all of this. Thanks for brining this up.

The first thought that came to mind was a portfolio. However if a portfolio contains the best work of a student, does it actually close the loop. It can, if it is a progression of the student's work, and the instructor is evaluating throughout the entire process.

Cherise,

I do like using portfolios and know many others that do as well. However, they can be difficult to assess sometimes. But, I think it's well worth the effort. Nice job.

For me I personally love to get the feedback from each class. Their words help to develop the course! However, getting together with other instructors in the same courses has really helped the most. This allows us to compare three different groups of students as to what works and doesn't work for us. We have made great adjustments working together!

Jeremy,

You have a great attitude about getting feedback from students. The revision cycle is a continuous process. Keep it up!

Thanks!

In really looking at the different types of evaluations, a portfolio or an end of the term project is the best way that allows the instructor to close the loop. A portfolio or an end of the term project should be a compilation of how the student achieved the course objectives.

Jared,

Portfolios can show students' growth along with end of the course/term project. However, make sure you are doing some assessment along the way as well - formative assessment. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Dr. Crews: Whether the syllabus and the material were dynamic enough. Allowing the students to provide their feedback I think is the most important feedback.

Student feedback. A question such as: 1. What do you feel was the most relevant or useful part of this course ... and why? Or:
2. What one thing would you change about this course ... and why?

I think if the environment is created where the student feels comfortable, and therefore will be honest, this information can be of great use.

I think student feedback would provide the most comprehensive feedback, since the course would be based on the info I wanted to pass along to the students. Their feedback would give me direct feedback about what they learned and what they thought about it, so I could see how well I wrote the course to give it to them.

Karen,

So true. I encourage student feedback on the course and how we are working toward achieving the set learning outcomes. We have to ensure students know what they are working toward. Thanks!

Robert,

These are excellent questions to ask students. I also ask student to do the "Stop, Start, Continue" about week 3 and week 8 in a 15 week course. I ask students to list one thing they wish I would stop doing, one thing I should start doing and one thing I need to continue to do. If I can't stop doing whatever they want me to stop doing (like stop giving quizzes), I explain why I can't stop and tie it directly to the learning outcomes. Whatever we do in the class should be helping students achieve the learning outcomes. Thanks for your input.

David,

Comprehensive feedback is a good goal. Sometimes, especially with writing assignments, I will first grade the assignment for content and give them feedback on what they are missing or where they have too much information and then I let them edit the document and turn it in again. Then, i look at the document a second time for spelling, grammar and format and then they can edit again and turn in a final document. This provides comprehensive feedback but in parts. It takes less time to grade for one thing at a time and still give great feedback to students. Thanks for your input.

My first reaction is to look at course grades, since exceedingly high or low scores could indicate that the assessment is ineffective or poorly written. Beyond that, quality of portfolios would be a pretty good indicator of whether or not the students were hitting my targets.

Donna,

Good point. When you see the variety of final grades for students you can reassess the content and how it is offered. Thanks for bringing that point to light. Thanks!

Dr. Crews: Student feedback is a very valuable tool that can be used as a source for content value. This feedback can be used to enhance or modify course content making the class more dynamic.

William,

I love getting student feedback during the course and implementing any change I can immediately. When students have input, they buy in more to the class and I believe are more engaged. Thanks for your input.

Hi Dr. Crews
In an online environment closing the loop can be difficult because the material and assignments are usually drafted by a committee of which you may have had no input. I like the interactive syllabuses but I would also like to see more diversity in how students are evaluated.
Bill Becker

William,

What a shame you have no input. Can you not alter how you teach if you still teach the necessary content?

I believe that summative and formative evaluation would provide the most comprehensive feedback in terms of closing the loop. It is very important to have these types of evaluation methods so that one can be detailed and structured, in terms of providing a rubrics along with a meaningful and content structured environment.

Dr. Chuo

Sign In to comment