Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Kelly,

We have to continue to close the loop and get a variety of people to provide us with feedback. Thanks for your input.

Any evaluation which would really help key in on extraneous information so as to exclude it from the material, and focus on the RELEVENT information (as long as the material was not foundationally pivotal). Also, feedback regarding presentation, be it for verbal and non0verbal communication.

Rene,

Relevant is the key. Feedback and evaluation must be meaningful so student can improve. Nice job.

The type of evaluation which provides the most comprehensive feedback to close the loop is a menu of choices. For a senior-level capstone course the menu might include: portfolio of work; Peer observation; and focus groups.

Patricia,

Yes, "a menu of choices" is a good way to put it. The best method does depend on the students, course level, course content etc. Thanks.

Portfolios are a good well rounded indication of what is learned

Jacquilin,

Portfolios do show progression in the students' learning. They can be hard to evaluate though, but I think worth it. Thanks!

I will definitely try to use Question tools. I used part of it so far, but I like the "three clear points, three muddy points" paper. I think it will give me more detailed information about my students knowledge.

I believe closing the loop requires multiple forms of meaningful evaluations which would include grades, self-assessment, peer assessments, portfolios (good view of total effort), and interviews are just a few. I also believe “Reflection” is important. Taking the time to pause and evaluate/assess the learning that is achieved is well worth the time invested and will help close the learning loop.

Viktoria,

Cool.m it is good to try new things to help students get full credit for their efforts and reach the set goals. Thanks for adding to the conversation.

Kenneth,

Reflection is critical. You are right. Students need to reflect on their learning and we, as instructors, need to reflect on our teaching and how to teach in better and more efficient ways. Thanks for your input.

Since, planning and assessment have not always complemented each other, it is important to gather different types of evaluation data to provide each group with appropriate feedback when "close the loop" from the three stakeholders. The only way to improve is to assess and compare any revisions.

~ Audrey Thomas

Hi Class and Tena. Although they can sometimes be misused by students, I think when done properly, student evaluations of the instruction and course can help an instructor close the loop. I have had the experience of students enlightening me through this tool about things I was not aware of during the course, even though I elicit student feedback throughout. Student feedback has been responsible for my making changes to the way I have typically done some things in my online courses.

Maureen

Audrey,

We do have to be open to a variety of assessment types so that we can continue to update and edit the course and the way we teach. Thanks for your input.

Maureen ,

Student evaluations can provide such pertinent information so that we can adjust our teaching and the course. It is important that we pay attention to the feedback we get to proceed with the improvement process. Thanks!

Certainly, the most comprehensive package of evaluative feedback would come from different "stakeholders." For example, a student, self, and peer review would offer perspectives from different stakeholders. I think that the best package would include each of these in some form, and the best would allow for both quantitative and qualitative information to be reviewed so as to most efficiently "close the loop," meaning that the course could be improved as a result of the evaluation.

Mark,

Totally agree that quantitative and qualitative feedback both bring "something to the game." When we get feedback from different parties, we do get information from different aspects and that is beneficial.

Thanks!

In looking at different types of feedback, the one that would be most comprehensive would be the evaluations from students/along with peers. They would provide the most unbiased assessment of the subject matter at hand.

I really think this would depend on what is being evaluated, such as the course itself. Typically, grades are used as a means of evaluation. I have facilitated classes and pretest and posttests were used. I sort of have a bias with assignments and exams. Again, it does depends on the course.

Michael,

Feedback in a variety of types helps the students improve. Peer- and self-assessment are helpful as well.

Thanks for your input.

Sign In to comment