Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

good module 

This lesson on Teaching Skills and Trades online is very interesting. Create curiosity in your lesson and teaching for your students is one of many great ways to keep the lesson or teaching mentally engaging. However, the one that resonated with me most is trades people need develop skills in discussion. Many trades people lack in this skill, at times when one is training on the job, the trainers can be harsh or lack patience. Usually, the trainee is not understand the trainer, because the trainer lacks proper discussion skills. I have witness new instructors lacking this skill. This skill is very important because as one develops this skills, one can articulate the lesson better and listen instead of hearing their students. 

When working online and doing videos I have to be just mindful of my body language as I am if in front of students in the classroom. 

Lifelong learning skills are crucial even for students going to work in the trade fields. 

It is important for students to participate in the presentations in various ways. The module is informative and provides skills to enhance critical thinking skills and problem solving.

This easy-to-remember heuristic device represents the 5 steps of this evergreen problem-solving method.

IDEAL problem-solvers

I-dentify the source of the problem,

D-efine its context,

E-xplore solutions strategies,

A-ct on the best solution,

L-ook back and evaluate the process.

It is important to help the student learn presentation skills and feel  comfortable when presenting ideas and understand problem solving with groups and themselves.

Role modeling is a great way to show the students how things are done.

Students working together and being able to communicate with one another is important.

After completing this section, some great aspects were presented.  I feel that presentation skills, verbal and critical thinking skills are very important for technical learners.  Everyone thinks that only hands on teaching methods offer the student the most full experience but this section backs up the facts that other skills are very important in order to be successful.

Going though this section has shown me the importance of confidence and posture during the lesson. How you project the information and make eye contact keeps the credibility and the learning at a higher level of acceptance.

I learned about the I-D-E-A-L methodical approach for resolving problems based on the IDEAL (Identify, Define, Explore, Act, Look) model. I am going to try this in my next class. 

Assume our students are modeling our behavior...because they are. And not just our technical skills...but all of our skills. 

Comment on Carl Petee's post: carl you really pointed out the most relevent dilemma. humans are preprogrammed for confirmation bias in their quest to survive. 

Sign In to comment